Newbie Quiz

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Newbie Quiz

Post by scottp55 »

How does one make a PERFECTLY centered 1/8" hole in the Moon, when the preview shows a perfect cut?

(Hint: It would have looked DRASTICALLY different if I had left my .25" 30 degree engraving bit in last night)

What should you do after the choice swear words and kicking yourself?

Note;
Other certified cnc idiots need not reply, and are only allowed to politely snicker :D
(name omitted to to protect the guilty)
Attachments
MOON OOPS 1 CH TBN.jpg
MOON OOPS 2 CH TBN.jpg
MOON OOPS 3 CH TBN.jpg
MOON OOPS 4 .25 ENGRAVING.jpg
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Re: Newbie Quiz

Post by dwilli9013 »

Well I thought that hole was foe Neil Armstrongs american flag that he planted there long ago....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Re: Newbie Quiz

Post by scottp55 »

Nah Dwayne :)
That's Scott deciding at the last minute to change it from Z Zeroing from the spoilboard to the top of the block, and NOT getting rid of the ZZZ preface heads up on the file that tells me it's a spoilboard zeroed cut :oops:
Thank goodness It was an offset Finish toolpath!
And I had my finger on the Spacebar key (Pause at safe Z in Shopbot).

Of course it could have been a mini black hole hitting the Moon, just before it exploded into 7 large chunks like in the book "Seven Eves" :D
Smallest of the 4 Chinese tapered ball noses worked well in Sugar Maple(the one on the left, right side is 30degree engraving bit);
http://www.ebay.com/itm/R0-25-0-5-0-75- ... SwEzxYXyJe
Now to ramp up the speed/feed and do a larger one with the .5mm Radius one:)

OH, Always clean collet/nut/and spindle cone after trying to cut with collet nut! Lot's of smoke and gunk get in there.
Also you can guarantee you probably lost position on all Axis..so Re-zero everything.
scott
Attachments
Moon test 1 TBM vs Engraving.jpg
MOON CLEAN COLLET.NUT.SPINDLE TAPER.jpg
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.