Tool path cutting too deep

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
CaptainJaimie
Model of CNC Machine: Axion Pro 6

Tool path cutting too deep

Post by CaptainJaimie »

I am new to the CNC, I have an Axiom Pro 6 and am using VCarve pro 8.5.
I am trying to make plaques using the 3D models and when I run it, it's cutting almost all the way through the wood. I have played with the base, height and cutting depths and nothing is helping. I want the 3D look as the face but not all the way through. I have run a smaller model and it comes out perfect. Once I start a new file, using thicker wood and larger dimensions, it starts showing it removing all the excess wood...which I don't want. Any suggestions? I have attached a screenshot of what I am talking about. Thank you in advance...I have been trouble shooting for 2 months now and am at my wits end!
Screenshot (1).png

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Tool path cutting too deep

Post by mtylerfl »

Check your Model position via the material setup menu. Make sure your models are positioned at the top. A very slight gap is ok (maybe a couple thousands of an inch).
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

CaptainJaimie

Post by CaptainJaimie »

Thank you for the reply. I checked that as well. I finally got it to where it isn't so deep by changing the base model depth and playing with the toolpath, however, I am also trying to clear all the extra wood out between the 3D carvings and that is cutting too deep and into the 3D models even though I traced each vector and created boundaries then used the pocket toolpath. Any suggestions? The training videos are great but very limited. I will try to post pictures tomorrow. Kudos to everyone that has this figured out and your help is greatly appreciated.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Can you upload the file without validating any copyrights on the models you used?
John
Maker of Chips

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

As highpockets has said a file that you are having problems with will help but if you are unable to add a file for copyright reasons then a couple of screenshots is the next best thing.
I am not sure I understand your problem just now, you said that the smaller size cut perfectly but when you made the size larger it cut all the way through the material, I understand you have used a thicker piece of material but maybe it just isn't thick enough for the size you have made the model, if you increase the length & width of the model then you are going to increase the depth it carves to as well.
Have you checked the shape height in the model properties form ? (wrench icon second from left on modelling tab) it should obviously be less than your material thickness. You can alter the height on that form or use the scale z height of model function (5th icon along on modelling tab)

As Michael has already said check the position of your model in the material block as well :lol: :lol:

CaptainJaimie

Post by CaptainJaimie »

Highpockets and Martin...I have no idea how to upload the file, however, I think you inadvertently answered my question. Making the project bigger will increase the depth of the cut which makes sense. I will try the smaller version on the thicker wood but keep the thinner wood thickness in the material setup. I shall give that a try. Thank you!!!!!!