Tool path cutting too deep

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro

Tool path cutting too deep

Postby CaptainJaimie » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:20 pm

I am new to the CNC, I have an Axiom Pro 6 and am using VCarve pro 8.5.
I am trying to make plaques using the 3D models and when I run it, it's cutting almost all the way through the wood. I have played with the base, height and cutting depths and nothing is helping. I want the 3D look as the face but not all the way through. I have run a smaller model and it comes out perfect. Once I start a new file, using thicker wood and larger dimensions, it starts showing it removing all the excess wood...which I don't want. Any suggestions? I have attached a screenshot of what I am talking about. Thank you in advance...I have been trouble shooting for 2 months now and am at my wits end!
Screenshot (1).png
CaptainJaimie
Vectric Apprentice

Model of CNC Machine: Axion Pro 6

Re: Tool path cutting too deep

Postby mtylerfl » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:34 pm

Check your Model position via the material setup menu. Make sure your models are positioned at the top. A very slight gap is ok (maybe a couple thousands of an inch).
Michael Tyler

carvebuddy.com

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC
mtylerfl
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Postby CaptainJaimie » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:10 am

Thank you for the reply. I checked that as well. I finally got it to where it isn't so deep by changing the base model depth and playing with the toolpath, however, I am also trying to clear all the extra wood out between the 3D carvings and that is cutting too deep and into the 3D models even though I traced each vector and created boundaries then used the pocket toolpath. Any suggestions? The training videos are great but very limited. I will try to post pictures tomorrow. Kudos to everyone that has this figured out and your help is greatly appreciated.
CaptainJaimie
Vectric Apprentice

Postby highpockets » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:14 am

Can you upload the file without validating any copyrights on the models you used?
John
Maker of Chips
highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Postby martin54 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:48 am

As highpockets has said a file that you are having problems with will help but if you are unable to add a file for copyright reasons then a couple of screenshots is the next best thing.
I am not sure I understand your problem just now, you said that the smaller size cut perfectly but when you made the size larger it cut all the way through the material, I understand you have used a thicker piece of material but maybe it just isn't thick enough for the size you have made the model, if you increase the length & width of the model then you are going to increase the depth it carves to as well.
Have you checked the shape height in the model properties form ? (wrench icon second from left on modelling tab) it should obviously be less than your material thickness. You can alter the height on that form or use the scale z height of model function (5th icon along on modelling tab)

As Michael has already said check the position of your model in the material block as well :lol: :lol:
martin54
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: Gerber System 48 (modified)

Postby CaptainJaimie » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:41 pm

Highpockets and Martin...I have no idea how to upload the file, however, I think you inadvertently answered my question. Making the project bigger will increase the depth of the cut which makes sense. I will try the smaller version on the thicker wood but keep the thinner wood thickness in the material setup. I shall give that a try. Thank you!!!!!!
CaptainJaimie
Vectric Apprentice

Return to VCarve - Tips and Tricks