lines curves qualities thereof...

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
RobSm
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Chinese 6090

lines curves qualities thereof...

Post by RobSm »

Hi.

I have modelled a fretboard in Rhino and projected the 'lines' indicating the fret positions onto the curved surface of the fretboard.

V Carve won't import the Rhino model - i get an error message regarding no meshes. (sorry I forget exactly)

If I export the fretboard model as an .stl then I get the fretboard model which I can toolpath, but the lines for the frets are missing. I waas thinking to do a profile cut on the lines like I would in a 2d dxf or the like.

Can Someone tell me how to import the fretboard with the fret lines projected onto the curved surface please?

Do I have to join or group them or something?

Thanks,
Rob.

ps I have tried modelling each slot and aside from being a pain I don't get a result there either.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: lines curves qualities thereof...

Post by Adrian »

Draw the lines where you want them and then create the profile toolpath but make sure you have the Project onto 3D option checked.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Are the lines in your original drawing vectors? If they are than rather than trying to export them as stl with the fret board try exporting them as vectors in what ever vector format rhino supports. You can then import the fret board stl then import the vectors & lay the vectors back in the right place to 2d machine.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

RobSm wrote:V Carve won't import the Rhino model
VCarve 8.5 imports rhino version 4 models (use File > Export from version 5). At least it does NURBS. I avoid meshes like the plague so I can't guarantee that it will import them even using version 4 files.

Steven

RobSm
Vectric Apprentice

Post by RobSm »

Thanks for the responses...I obviously don't know what I'm doing and I need to go away and read up on lines vectors meshes etc.

I thought a line was a vector and I have no idea what a mesh is.

Some things work for me and some don't.
Thanks again..I will have to study the literature.

Regards,
Rob.

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Martin wrote:
Are the lines in your original drawing vectors? If they are than rather than trying to export them as stl with the fret board try exporting them as vectors in what ever vector format rhino supports. You can then import the fret board stl then import the vectors & lay the vectors back in the right place to 2d machine.
From Rhino I always export the model as a stl file and export the vectors as dwf file. Both should import at the same position.

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

Can Someone tell me how to import the fretboard with the fret lines projected onto the curved surface please?
I don't believe that you can.
Afaik, You can't import a 3D vector ( a vector projected to a fretboard would be curved in the Z direction.)
Also, I believe that any Z value of imported vectors is ignored. All imported vectors are on the same plane, regardless of there Z value in 3D space.
Imported vectors are flat, 2D only.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

RobSm
Vectric Apprentice

Post by RobSm »

well...thaanks again everyone...after much binding in the marsh I made it work!!! hahahhahahahah

why do i have make things so hard for myself....

VCarve wanted mesh data from Rhino - so - I made some duhhh

in VCarve open the dxf of the lines , import the rhino model complete with mesh

do the 3d shaping, project lines onto curved surface & cut ON

Honestly it took less than 5 minutes to do and a week & half's howling in frustration.

So...is it always like this?

:o) Thanks again.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Honestly it took less than 5 minutes to do and a week & half's howling in frustration.

So...is it always like this?

No not always, now you know how that particular operation works it will only take you the 5 mins next time :lol: :lol:

As for the 2 or 3 million other things you will want to know or learn then only time will tell :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you haven't already then spend a bit of time using the tutorials & quick tips videos, lots of very useful info on using the software. They have certainly answered a lot of my questions :lol: