Export Text from Corel Draw

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
jglazer
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: X-Carve 1000x1000

Export Text from Corel Draw

Post by jglazer »

So I go into Corel Draw and draw the word "Home" in Anglia Script. I exported this is .AI, .EPS., .DXF and .DWG all with the same results:

Open in VCarve Pro 8.5 (Just purchased). Select V-Carve with a 60 degree bit. Select the vectors and hit Calculate. And it "thinks" forever. If I hit [X] to stop it, the program bombs. This is pretty much useless if I cannot import text.

If I draw the text in VCarve natively, there is no problems at all.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Export Text from Corel Draw

Post by Adrian »

A script font will have overlapping sections. You need to use the weld tool or node edit to join the vectors together so they flow as one rather than being separate overlapping vectors.

Why not draw the text in VCarve in the first place? You will still get the same issue with overlapping text but it's less steps.

jglazer
Vectric Apprentice

Post by jglazer »

Its actually not less steps. I draw text in Corel and apply a contour to give it some white space around some other objects. Its much much easier in Corel than Vtext if you do anything other than simply dropping text onto the project. Corel is much more advanced in object manipulations.

Thanks for the reply. I'll try the weld suggestion. Not sure why dropping text into corel then exporting is any different than dropping text into vcarve itself but if this works I'm all for it.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

If you can it's worth spending the time learning everything VCarve can do. When I first started I did everything in Sketchup, Autocad or Xara as I thought they were much more powerful but over time I realised it was just that the way of doing it in VCarve was just different and every single thing I was doing in the other programs I could do in VCarve natively.

Text created in VCarve is a text object which can be manipulated in ways that an imported vector can't be but that isn't the reason why you're seeing a difference. Basically when you have loops or overlaps in a VCarve toolpath there are many factors why one can give an almost perfect cut and one goes all over the place. Just the difference in one pixel can be enough. All overlaps and loops have to be removed to get the perfect toolpath.

jglazer
Vectric Apprentice

Post by jglazer »

I'll give it a shot. It's been a little disappointing and a bit non-intuitive here and there but I'm still learning.
Thanks

Trock

Post by Trock »

I've used Corel Draw for many years and love what it does. But, it seems not the best for many vector exports.

Try Inkscape.org, It's free and it will export a clean svg file that Vectric reads very well.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Trock wrote:I've used Corel Draw for many years and love what it does. But, it seems not the best for many vector exports.

Try Inkscape.org, It's free and it will export a clean svg file that Vectric reads very well.
There shouldn't be a problem exporting from Corel using EPS, not a Corel user myself but use other vector based software & always use EPS for import & export where possible as it gives the most consistent results between different software.
Had plenty of Corel produced work sent to me in EPS format & never had a problem importing no matter what version of the software it had been produced with.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

martin54 wrote:
Trock wrote:I've used Corel Draw for many years and love what it does. But, it seems not the best for many vector exports.

There shouldn't be a problem exporting from Corel using EPS, not a Corel user myself but use other vector based software & always use EPS for import & export where possible as it gives the most consistent results between different software.
Had plenty of Corel produced work sent to me in EPS format & never had a problem importing no matter what version of the software it had been produced with.
Just a quick note to add that the corel produced EPS files were imported into other software not Vectric but it shouldn't make a difference.

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

A script font exported from any other graphics packages will need any overlapping vectors cleaned up if it is to be reliably V-Carved after import. Text imported via DXF, EPS, AI etc comes in as just a series of vectors and we have no way of knowing that these vectors represented text and hence any association between the different vectors is lost.

When text is created within Vectric software, we know that it is text and as long as it is not converted to curves, we V-Carve each letter as an individual entity and so we can cope with script fonts with overlapping letters.

I hope this explains the different behavior between text created within Cut2D/VCarve/Aspire and 'text' imported form othe rprograms.

Brian

jglazer
Vectric Apprentice

Post by jglazer »

I cannot find any way to create a contour or "white space" around a font in vcarve. This is very easily done in Corel and really saves time. So I've taken to creating the design in corel then importing in vcarve and overlaying vcarve native text on top of the corel import and deleting the corel text (vectors). Seems to be the easiest.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Not sure why you would want to create a contour or white space around text in vcarve but you can create an off set which would be the same as creating an outline/contour in Corel

jglazer
Vectric Apprentice

Post by jglazer »

IMG_20161015_170931099.jpg
Attached is an example of something I've been toying with. Just to learn this thing. You can see why I want the contour.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

As Martin says you can do that with the offset command in VCarve.

Brian, is that behaviour with script fonts new? I'm sure it didn't work like that in the past so I've always welded them whether they are text objects or not.

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

Adrian wrote:...
Brian, is that behaviour with script fonts new? I'm sure it didn't work like that in the past so I've always welded them whether they are text objects or not.
Hi Adrian,

The behaviour goes back a long way but I should have clarified that this only works if only text is selected for the v-carve toolpath. If there is a mixture of text and 'normal' vectors then text that includes overlaps text would to be done in a separate toolpath or the overlaps cleaned up. The behaviour was introduced in the early days of VCarve (2006) for customers who were engraving complex plaques with a lot of text in script fonts.

Brian

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Adrian, I have always welded script fonts probably more out of habit than anything else :lol: You have to weld them when cutting from vinyl or you get cut's in the letter tails that look really bad if viewed up close.

jglazer what you are looking to do can be done in vcarve pretty easily but it's probably a bit different to the way you are use to doing it. To be honest I would have done that in my signmaking software & imported an EPS up until fairly recently :lol: :lol: I am now making more of an effort to learn how to use the software rather than just import everything.
I still revert back to what I know if I get stuck but that is generally because of my own limitations using the software rather than a fault of the software itself :oops: