Importing/converting to Vectors

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
tvannaman2000
Model of CNC Machine: X-Carve

Importing/converting to Vectors

Post by tvannaman2000 »

I'm converting some JPG's to vectors and both VC and Inkscape are converting the lines to an outlined graphic.

ie. a single line like this: _____________ now looks like this after the paths have been traced: ============== (imagine that as being 2 lines that trace the outer boundary).

If I use a vcarve tool path, it looks nothing like what I want, if I use a profile tool path with v-bit, the graphic display simulating the carve looks perfect, but when it actually carves (X-carve), it's following the outlined path and giving me 2 grooves where I only want 1. I need a way take the vector and reduce it back to a single line so it looks more like the original JPG.

I hope this makes sense. If you were to look at a profile of the cut I'm getting: I want this V but I'm getting V V because it's tracing the border. Don't know why it looks perfect in the simulation but not in real life.

Tim.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Importing/converting to Vectors

Post by Adrian »

That's the way tracing works in VCarve as you need an inner and outer vector for a VCarve to work. If you want to use a profile toolpath then you will need to edit the vectors to remove/join them into a format that suits your purposes. There are some 3rd party tracing programs that offer single line (centre line) tracing but most do it the way VCarve does.

Not sure why your VCarve results are working as you would expect. It's hard to say without seeing the file or a picture.

There are some excellent videos on tracing here - http://support.vectric.com/tips-and-tricks/select.php - which might help.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

That's the way it works. The trace tool draws a line at each edge between colors. A line has two edges so there it gets two traces.

JPGs have fuzzy edges, so the trace function does not produce clean lines. After tracing, use the Fit Curves to Vectors (Bezier Curves) to smooth the lines. Node editing can remove squiggles, too. Delete the nodes that make the squiggles. Or just trace the line. I often find that faster.

Each line that you traced will produce a very thin closed vector. If you want a single line, use the node editor to cut the closed vector at both ends and then delete one half. If the line was a closed figure to start with, just delete one of the lines.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

tvannaman2000
Model of CNC Machine: X-Carve

Post by tvannaman2000 »

Thanks, that helps a bit. I'm now going in and doing some vector manipulation. As long as i know I'm getting the expected behavior and aren't doing something wrong, I can deal with it.

Now.. to join vectors that intersect in a T fashion. I'm trying to do that and the 'j' short is not working. Got some more learning to do!

Tim.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

You can't join two open vectors into a T. Joins have to be at the start or end. If you're doing a profile cut (on the line) they don't need to be joined.