Machine time

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
unclechuckie
Model of CNC Machine: Cnc Shark extended bed

Machine time

Post by unclechuckie »

I can compose a carving that contains 3-d models & V carving ect. I try to compose things that doesn't take a real long time to machine. When I load the file to the CNC it doubles the machine time.
For instance - I composed a wall plaque with 3-d model - v-carving & pocketing.
Vcarve pro calculates the total machine time to be about 3 hours but when loaded to cnc it takes 7 hours to machine. What is the solution ?

Thanks for any help I can get to resolve this issue.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: Machine time

Post by FixitMike »

In the Toolpaths Summary there is a box labeled Scale. Double the number you find there and your time estimates will be more accurate. But the times are only estimates, there are a lot of speed details that are determined by your CNC controller.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Over time you'll get an idea of what the scale factor should be for each type of job. Cutting a detailed 3D plaque is going to to need a lot bigger scale factor than cutting a cabinet with 2d profile cuts for example.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Cutting a detailed 3D plaque is going to to need a lot bigger scale factor than cutting a cabinet with 2d profile cuts for example.
For example, on a Shopbot over the years for 2D cutting and most V-Carving I use a scale factor of 2. On 3D work I use a scale factor of 4.5. Your mileage may vary.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Desert_Woodworker
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by Desert_Woodworker »

Same question or inquiry: problem solved; Thank you all for the answers.

NormanAlbert
Vectric Wizard

Post by NormanAlbert »

Hi: Should you lay out a job that takes more time than you wish it would, You can always stop the job whenever you wish. It's important to make note of what line you stopped at and reset your co-ordinates back to zero,zero,zero. The next time you continue the job you start the job a few lines before the stop and tell the controller to start there. If you haven't moved the job the cnc should pick right up where it left. Note, zero machine co-ordinates need to be at a corner off the job. This is a time when centering on the job won't work. Norm