Simple way to change a shape to something 3/16" bigger?

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
PLLman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot 4 x 4

Simple way to change a shape to something 3/16" bigger?

Post by PLLman »

I want to create a new tool path that is 3/16" outside of curved shape made out of four arcs. I could draw a new set of arcs around the 5 shapes I already have, but this seems like it should be easy for Vectric to do since it has to do this when offsets are requested. Is this possible?

Any reason that engraving does not allow offsets, especially outward?

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: Simple way to change a shape to something 3/16" bigger?

Post by FixitMike »

You can use the profile toolpath and enter an offset. You can also use the offset tool to make a new vector to follow with your toolpath.
My question is "Why are you using the engraving (Quick Engrave) toolpath" The only time I use it is when I am going to use the a diamond drag tool.

I hope you joined the vectors before you attempted to use them in a toolpath.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

PLLman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot 4 x 4

Re: Simple way to change a shape to something 3/16" bigger?

Post by PLLman »

I am using an engraving tool path to make a roundover/chamfer on a previously cut profile. An engraving when cut in wood leaves a lovely serif that is sharp at the end, instead of a rounded end if you use a roundover bit and a profile path. The problem with the engraving is that the outer edge of the v-bit cut is exactly aligned with the toolpath. V-Carve computes the offset inwards for you. I need to cancel that offset with one of my own on a new, larger toolpath.