Which CNC Bit for engraving Wood

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
RacerChris
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3

Which CNC Bit for engraving Wood

Post by RacerChris »

Hey guys. I am sure this has been asked before, but I am getting too much information by using the search function.

What I want to is to engraving a map of the world on wood. It took me awhile to find a vector based map of the world, but found one. Problem is my 1/16" TBN is way to wide.

Going through the tutorials, I see an example for a spring-loaded diamond bit, but 1) i am having trouble locating one and 2) i am not sure this is the right bit for engraving wood.

Perhaps an engraving knife is the right answer? But before I buy, I want to confirm that others have good success with them...

Thanks everyone !

Chris
Chris
Shark HD3 / vCarveDesktop 10.512 / CNC Shark Control Panel v2.1 Build 22

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Which CNC Bit for engraving Wood

Post by adze_cnc »

Engraving as shown in the images?

This was done in MDF using a 30-degree engraving bit with a 0.01" flat tip. It happened to be one from Onsrud but there are plenty to choose from. A deeper line, 1/32", was wanted otherwise I might have used a 60- or 90-degree v-bit.

Steven
Attachments
Dymaxion map table top in MDF (detail)
Dymaxion map table top in MDF (detail)
Dymaxion map table top in MDF (72x34 inches)
Dymaxion map table top in MDF (72x34 inches)

RacerChris
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3

Post by RacerChris »

adze_cnc wrote:Engraving as shown in the images?

This was done in MDF using a 30-degree engraving bit with a 0.01" flat tip. It happened to be one from Onsrud but there are plenty to choose from. A deeper line, 1/32", was wanted otherwise I might have used a 60- or 90-degree v-bit.

Steven
Cool looking project :D I have a 60 and 90 degree V Bit, and a 1/16" Tapered Ball Nose. I was hoping for a sharper line. The pic below is from VCarve with a 1/16"TBN at 1/64" in 3D and 2D. You can't really tell in the 3D version...
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG
Chris
Shark HD3 / vCarveDesktop 10.512 / CNC Shark Control Panel v2.1 Build 22

JoeM
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shop-Made Router

Post by JoeM »

You might want to make a test board before you get too much further along. Take all the bits you have and make short lines with them at varying depths on a piece of scrap.You'll get an idea of what .02 looks like vs .04, 30 degrees V vs 45 or 60 or a ball etc. If you write the bit/depth off to the side you can use it for planning future projects until you get a better feel for what each one does at different depths.

I think a 30 degree V with a sharp point (no flat) will make a much sharper looking line than any ball nose will ever get you.

Samson
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 4x4

Post by Samson »

I use a 30deg. v-bit @ .015 and it creates a nice fine line. Going a little deeper or changing to a 60deg. v-bit will give a wider line.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

The diamond bits you have seen mentioned on the forum are generally used for drag engraving on plastics & metals, the diamond bit does not revolve (spindle is switched off) & the bit scratches the material as it is dragged across, the fact that it is sprung loaded keeps pressure on the diamond as it is dragged & also ensures contact is maintained if the surface is not completely flat. Not really the best option for wood although I guess it would work to some degree.
How good a finish & how fine you can machine your lines will depend on your machine being set up correctly, the table & material being flat & the type of wood as well as what bit you use.
A lot of engraving bits have a flat at the bottom rather than come to a point, so as well as using a bit with a shallow angle you need one with the smallest flat possible or a bit that comes to a point.
A ball nose bit no matter how small is always going to give you a wider line than a bit that comes to a point.

Joe has a very good suggestion with the test board he has mentioned.