lines perpendicular to curve

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

lines perpendicular to curve

Post by tomgardiner »

The problem I had was how to draw lines perpendicular to a curved outline.
I was making a torsion box for an U-shaped table support. I wanted to have ribs dowelled at regular intervals perpendicular to the edge. I needed center lines to guide the placement of the dowel holes. I found an easy way to achieve this.
1. Draw a straight line.
2. Select line and then curve.
3. Open "Copy Along Vectors "
4. Choose the number of ribs (number of copies)
5. Select each vector and rotate by pressing 9 twice.
6. Extend and trim as necessary.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: lines perpendicular to curve

Post by FixitMike »

If you draw the line vertically, it will automatically align itself perpendicular to the curve. No need to rotate. Horizontal lines align tangentially.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

Post by tomgardiner »

This is the thing about V-carve, every time I get mildly frustrated with a perceived shortcoming in the program, I find out there is a work around or hidden gem. I don't know if these types of tips are well documented. It does make me giddy when I discover them though.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

tomgardiner wrote:This is the thing about V-carve, every time I get mildly frustrated with a perceived shortcoming in the program, I find out there is a work around or hidden gem. I don't know if these types of tips are well documented. It does make me giddy when I discover them though.
I suspect that rather than being a "hidden" feature, it is something that takes advantage of how the program works. Even though it was not the original intention of the programmer. Users seem to be able to come up with more ideas than the designers.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.