Subtracting out texture inside letters

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
chrisprouty77
Model of CNC Machine: Industrial CNC Artisan 408

Subtracting out texture inside letters

Post by chrisprouty77 »

I'm wanting to create this sign and wanting to put a woodgrain texture in a pocket. But I'm wanting to leave some offset space around the lettering smooth and then I plan to leave the lettering raised. I've imported a bitmap woodgrain texture and traced it to get vectors. I've managed to get it cut down to inside the pocket, but cannot get it to cut out of just the letters (without using the scissor tool and cutting each one individually). I've played around with the Boolean tools and vector selection order but it's stumping me. Any advice, tricks?

Additional note, the beer mugs and arrow will be pocketed in the sign and cut out separately then glued in. The file is too huge to attach so I've included the dropbox link. Thanks for the help everyone! I'm still new to this stuff. I wish it was as easy as Photoshop.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/py09gyi1tkqdy ... r.crv?dl=0

Frunple

Re: Subtracting out texture inside letters

Post by Frunple »

Select all the vectors that go into a letter, then select the outer vector of that letter and use the "trim selected objects to a boundary" tool.
If you want a smooth part around the letters, offset the outer vector of the letter as much as you want, then use that vector as the boundary to trim to.

The easiest way would be to select all the texture vectors, then pick the letters one at a time (so the ack in Jack will be considered 1) then use the tool.
I would copy the texture to a new invisible layer first. Then you can put the same texture back in the 'hollows' of some letters like the a.
That way you don't have to pick and choose the vectors, do them all at one time and replace as needed.
Attachments
Capture.PNG