2D Rope Border

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

2D Rope Border

Post by zeeway »

Last week I was making some science awards, and wanted to use a 2D rope border, but could not find any that I liked. After several tries, here is the end result:
Science  Award.JPG
Here is the method I used to create the rope border, in case anyone is interested. I started by viewing tutorial E12 on creating a 3d border, and used the same method to create the rope link. Since I needed a 6 inch border, I resized the link to 0.5 inches and copied it along the 6 inch diameter vector. I played around with the number of copies, until there was just a little space between the links. I then used the offset tool, to create inner and outer vectors that were .060 inches offset. Then using a v carve toolpath, a rope border popped out. By varying the size of the link and the base circle vector, you can create other sizes as well.

Angie

kaetamer
Model of CNC Machine: CNCRP Pro 4824

Re: 2D Rope Border

Post by kaetamer »

Look at the "rest machining" tutorial that uses grapes as the subject (can't remember which one it is). There is a technique explained there which uses "create component from preview" then traces the new component to create 2d vectors from a 3d image. Very easy to do, endless possibilities of converting 3d to 2d.

MUCH quicker...

Beltramidave
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FLA Saturn 4x4 / 7W & 60W lasers

Re: 2D Rope Border

Post by Beltramidave »

I think that Rest machining is not available in VCarve, only Aspire.
Dave
https://lakesedgewoodcraft.com/