Z-Axis Extra Movement While Cutting Pocket

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
jdkerr
Model of CNC Machine: Fireball V90

Z-Axis Extra Movement While Cutting Pocket

Post by jdkerr »

Setting up and getting VCarve Pro going for the first time and had a question that I am hoping someone could clarify for me.

I am cutting some pockets, that require three passes with my end-mill due to their depth. After each cut pass, the Z-axis returns to its safe height and proceeds to continue cutting the pocket. I thought there was a setting to prevent the tool from going through the whole return to safe point when cutting the pockets to speed things up slightly, but I do not know what that option might be.

Can anyone shed some light on if this is possible and how I might do this?

Thanks.. John

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Z-Axis Extra Movement While Cutting Pocket

Post by Rcnewcomb »

They are self-extracting archives. Run the EXE file and it will create the files.

What is a Self-Extracting Zip File?
A self-extracting Zip file is a Windows executable file (.exe). It will contain a Zip file and a small program to extract (unzip) the files in the Zip file. A user can run (execute) a self-extracting Zip file just as they run any other program: just double click on the .exe file.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

jdkerr
Model of CNC Machine: Fireball V90

Post by jdkerr »

Good morning Randall,
Thanks for the reply, but I think you replied to a different message topic and ended up here.

Appreciate the thought though.

John

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

It's standard behaviour for the tool to retract like that at the end of each pass. The start point and end point may not be the same after a pass and then the bit could hit material that isn't meant to be cut (a C shape for example) when it moved to the next pass.

You can speed things up a bit by setting the Z2 depth to be just above the material and ensuring that your Post Processor has the RAPID_PLUNGE_TO_STARTZ feature enabled (if your machine supports it). You can get a similar effect by setting the Z1 and Z2 to be just above the material but that could cause issues with clamps etc for the rest of the job so it's best to leave the Z1 as the safe height and Z2 at the height where rapid movement stops.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

<blush>
I wondered why my reply wasn't on that other thread
</blush>
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop