Avoiding Machine Gotchya's

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro

Re: Avoiding Machine Gotchya's

Postby GeneMpls » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:38 pm

Need more tools- Pictures and part numbers please. Thanks Gene
GeneMpls
Vectric Craftsman

Model of CNC Machine: 4x4 PRS and 3x4' 130w laser

Postby Adrian » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:45 pm

What happens if you lose air pressure though?
Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Postby LittleGreyMan » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:04 pm

Hello,

Need More Tools wrote:I have been reading about people using double sided tape. That to me just sounds a bit dangerous.

Double sided tape is actually a very handy and reliable solution. But it is not universal and requires some caution.

We use it to machine industrial parts, with very few glitches. These glitches have a minor cost, compared to the ease of use.

You need to use extra strong hold tape, and carefully test it. Not all tapes give a good result, and not on all materials.

Heat is your enemy. When temperature is high, adhesive melts, and your part is no more correctly held. It means you generally cannot use it for aluminum, as cutting it produces heat.

We use it for a majority of our PU board machining on melamine spoil board. For large parts, we also use vacuum on a large machine, and in particular cases, mechanical hold.

The trick is to put a heavy load for a few minutes on your raw material in order to compress the tape and increase adherence.

HTH
Best regards

LGM

W7 - Aspire 8.517
LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Charlyrobot & Mecanumeric

Postby Leo » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:43 pm

We use double sided tape to hold aluminum parts down on large industrial grinders.

I have used it many times in my shop to hold down wood parts.

It does have its place.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind

www.leosworkshop.com
Leo
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254

Postby scottp55 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:18 pm

Fairly essential daily use here(boy will I be glad to lose it for a vacuum jig sometime soon though:)
Discovered yesterday though how much even 15F 30%humidity increase affects the residue sticking to wood fibers.
Solution was to coat the black wood with 3 coats GF Woodturners Finish(water based PU....have been using lacquer which was better than shellac), good clean release.
Solution for .19" stock was to sand backside of wood to 600G instead of 320G like at 50-70F...still plenty of hold down, but residue came off clean:)
Ace Hardware 1.88"(NOT 2" stuff which is HORRIBLE to get paper off!!) heavy-duty indoor-outdoor Fiberglass reinforced is the best out of 6 I tried.
Yep, J roller,removing dust from wood, and whacking stock with a deadblow/spacer is pretty ESSENTIAL!
Attachments
7.8.15 KELLYS COMPASS ROSE MAPLE0jpg.jpg
7.8.15 KELLYS COMPASS ROSE MAPLE2.jpg
scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot Desktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP9

Postby LittleGreyMan » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:21 pm

Leo wrote:We use double sided tape to hold aluminum parts down on large industrial grinders.

Sorry if there's a double post, I don't see my answer.

You're right Leo. 3M manufactures a high end product, with a very precise thickness, which can be used for mechanical use, especially grinding.

Maybe it's cheaper in the USA, but even for our professional use, we don't use it here as it is way too expensive, and we do not require such thickness precision.
Best regards

LGM

W7 - Aspire 8.517
LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Charlyrobot & Mecanumeric

Previous

Return to VCarve - Tips and Tricks