When profiling a 3D sign, .......

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
woodworker1960
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark extended base

When profiling a 3D sign, .......

Post by woodworker1960 »

Hey folks, I have a question that some of you may say has an easy solution. That's what I'm hoping for anyway. When I profile a 3D sign and add tabs to it, I get a lot of chatter around the edge being profiled. Whether it is 3 passes or whether it is 7 passes to cut through the board. Is there a way, after the piece is profiled and with the tabs holding it is place, to come back and make one last "clean-up" pass to get rid of the chatter? I'm sure there is a way but brain malfunction comes often nowadays.

Thanks for any reply!!

Richard

davemartin88
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMMaster Stinger II

Re: When profiling a 3D sign, .......

Post by davemartin88 »

Probably a better way than this but a new tool path with the same tab settings but cutting to the full depth in one pass might work. Run this one after the original cut out is run.

Might be better to see if the chattering can be controlled with the original settings. Maybe feed rate or direction of cut? Sure others will be of more help.

woodworker1960
Vectric Apprentice

Post by woodworker1960 »

Thanks Dave. I'll try that. I'm not sure if I could offset the original profile toolpath by a fraction to see if that would work. But not sure if there is an option to do that.
I see we're practically neighbors. I'm over in Bunker Hill near Inwood.

Thanks for the reply
Richard

davemartin88
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMMaster Stinger II

Post by davemartin88 »

Pretty sure there is an offset option but computer out in the shop to check. Wouldn't make a big offset since you're cutting full depth. Yes, we are close by. Will PM sometime contact info to compare notes. I've milled wood for a couple of people near Inwood in the past. I really enjoyed my Shark, just sold it last weekend as I'm upgrading to a larger router. Good luck.

COWBOY1296
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SHOPBOT BUDDY PRS 32, 4 FT PWR STICK

Post by COWBOY1296 »

Hopefully i am responding to what you asked, but here is my experience. when you use the button tool to profile a component, the profile is never perfectly smooth. zoom way in on your profile and see if the pixels are inside or out of the component. If you node edit the profile and bring it barely into the component you might get a smoother cut. Now did i even address what you were asking.
Attachments
2016-01-08 17_22_48-Store.jpg

BArnold
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: SO2/XCarve hybrid w/NEMA23 on all axes

Post by BArnold »

I might be missing something here, but why not use the "Last Pass" option on the profile setup? I usually use a 0.01" offset for the last pass. Other passes run that distance away from the final face, then the last pass shifts over to finish.

woodworker1960
Vectric Apprentice

Post by woodworker1960 »

Good info everyone. I appreciate it. I'll try what you said Cowboy1296. And thanks Dave and BArnold. I've seen the last pass option but never tried it. I will now though. Thanks again all.

Richard

COWBOY1296
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SHOPBOT BUDDY PRS 32, 4 FT PWR STICK

Post by COWBOY1296 »

I educated myself on the last pass option because of this post. Apparently it does not work when the tool path is on the vector but outside of it (unless i am wrong). But this is an option that i will use.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

COWBOY1296 wrote:I educated myself on the last pass option because of this post. Apparently it does not work when the tool path is on the vector but outside of it (unless i am wrong). But this is an option that i will use.
If you wanted to cut on the vector rather than outside for some reason then you could probably create an inward offset at half the diameter of the bit being used & then cut outside that vector. :lol: :lol:

Bmr1
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Arty

Post by Bmr1 »

I've seen a block to set up a last pass in Aspire; the way it looks it allows you to cut a light clean up pass.