What's the real name for that masking stuff?

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
JoeM
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shop-Made Router

What's the real name for that masking stuff?

Post by JoeM »

I'm looking for those masking sheets they're like giant sheets of masking tape. You can put them on your work, do a V-carve without them peeling away, and then you can paint down into the carving before peeling it off. They come in clear or different colors and in different strengths.

I found them at staples online once (but not in their store), but now they've changed their website and I'm tired of going in circles with their @#$^ search function.

Can someone please tell me the correct name of this stuff? Please?

And if you're in a real festive holiday mood maybe you could include a link to some website with a user-friendly interface where I could find it fairly easily?

thanks...

rayray
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Piranha

Re: What's the real name for that masking stuff?

Post by rayray »

I'm not real sure of the physical description of what you are wanting; but, I searched Staples for "Masking Sheets", and it found: "S&S Sticky-back Foam Sheets". Not sure what they mean by 'foam' but they don't look real thick. Nine by twelve-inch sheets; not sure if that is 'Giant' but certainly larger than typical masking tape.

If you go to 'S&SWW.com' and search for "Masking Sheets", you get the same product. $5 for a pack of 10 sheets -- plus shipping, of course -- Maybe Staples has them in stock. But, wouldn't cost much to get some and see if they work.

rf

JoeM
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JoeM »

rayray wrote:..., I searched Staples for "Masking Sheets", and it found: "S&S Sticky-back Foam Sheets". Not sure what they mean by 'foam' but they don't look real thick. ...
rf
Thanks, but that's not it. Those are thin little sheets of colored foam with adhesive on the back. The stuff I'm looking for is a very thin plastic with a releasable adhesive on it.

eph210
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger 1 and Mabel, both with 4 axis

Post by eph210 »

They are usually called vinyl paint mask or sign mask. Two of the brands are Avery and Oracal. I got mine from a local sign supply shop.

JoeM
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JoeM »

eph210 wrote:They are usually called vinyl paint mask or sign mask. Two of the brands are Avery and Oracal. I got mine from a local sign supply shop.
Thanks! That's it.

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Vytek 4' X 8' - Perske Spindle - Mach3

Post by ChrisInEstes »

I Use Pask brand vinyl paint mask, and I get it from Fellers. It's as good as the Avery, 3M, Oracal, & Gerber paint masks I've used, and cost's less. I buy 15" wide 50 yard rolls for (I think) $75 plus shipping.

Chris
Aspire 9.5 - FlexiEXPERT 11 - Vytek Rebel 4' x 8' - 5HP Perske Spindle

Beltramidave
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FLA Saturn 4x4 / 7W & 60W lasers

Post by Beltramidave »

Does this paint mask machine cleanly? Obviously you need to use sharp tooling. Just wondered if the edges are clean and crisp after painting.

Thanks
Dave
https://lakesedgewoodcraft.com/

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Only time I have had a problem was when it was way to cold in the unit, my own fault for not putting the heater on. Vinyl can become quite brittle when it gets cold. Had it shatter on me while cutting which left jagged edges. Not a big problem though, warmed the unit up a bit, removed the paint mask, applied another bit & re ran the toolpath.
Paint mask is available in different tac's (degrees of stickyness) most of the signmaking suppliers will send you out a small sample so I would contact them & ask for a sample of each so you can try it before committing yourself to buy.
I also use sand blast vinyl for my blast cabinet, that cuts well on the plotter so no reason why it shouldn't work on a router either although I have never actually tried it.

denny98501
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

Post by denny98501 »

I have been using Transfer Rite Ultra.
A friend with a Graphics Shop gives me the ends of rolls.
It is Vinyl Letter transfer tape, but it works great for masking and then cutting on my ShopBot.
It is very thin and somewhat brittle.
The surface needs to be very smooth. I generally block sand painted surfaces prior to taping.
No tear out at all with down cut bits and sharp v-cutting bits.
Up cut bits tend to leave a rough edge.
I also use it for making signs with the laser.
Stick it down to the back of a sheet of acrylic, reverse cut the letters with a weak laser beam to just cut through the transfer tape, weed out he letters and spray paint. After the paint dries, pull off the tape and the sign is complete.
Dennis

donw53144
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ HHC

Post by donw53144 »

I have used Con-Tact brand Contact paper you can get it in clear or white, and it is pretty cheap, comes in a roll 18" wide, seems to work well for me but I sure would be open to other ideas on what would be better
Thanks Don
Have a Great Day Making Chips
Don