Topo Steps.

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
knowlzy0791
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: PAE 110SD Series/Mach3 Software

Topo Steps.

Post by knowlzy0791 »

Roann.jpg
I came across a recent thread about using different Topo programs to essentially machine a desired coordinate of the earth. I have decided to learn this process.

I have read through the threads and manuals and from what I am able to grasp from them I have made it as far as opening the desired long and lat in the Topo program, and saving it as an STL file (see attached). I am pretty certain this is the approximate long and latitude judging by the river, I can't make much sense of anything else. :shock:

From here I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do :?: Last guidance I recieved was open the STL file in Vcarve and go from there. Only problem is I don't see where it is saved as an STL file at all, or where to Import an STL file in Vcarve.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mobius
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CRP Pro 4848 Custom Build

Re: Topo Steps.

Post by Mobius »

Once you have a V-Carve project open, select File --> Import --> STL. Then navigate to where you saved it to on your computer and open it.

You will then be able to scale/adjust the STL until it is the right size and orientation. After that, create your roughing and finishing tool paths.
Connor Bredin
Distinctive Dimensional Concepts Ltd.
www.distinctive-concepts.ca

knowlzy0791
Vectric Craftsman

Post by knowlzy0791 »

Mobius wrote:Once you have a V-Carve project open, select File --> Import --> STL. Then navigate to where you saved it to on your computer and open it.

You will then be able to scale/adjust the STL until it is the right size and orientation. After that, create your roughing and finishing tool paths.
Is this a version 8 capability? My only options are Vectors, Bitmap, or PhotoVcarve or Cut3d Toolpaths

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

In the Topo window, you have buttons to export as stl or smoothed stl. Once again, I recommend using BigTopo instead of Topo.

I don't know if your Vcarve version is able to import stl.

You can download Meshlab (free tool) to display your stl and simplify it with various methods.

I generally generate the stl at the higher possible resolution, which can lead to a huge file, then decimate it in Meshlab several times while I can't see a difference, then import it in Aspire.

If your version of Vcarve doesn't allow importing stl, I suggest you play a little with BigTopo and Meshlab and then decide if your are happy enough with the results to upgrade.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

Mobius
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CRP Pro 4848 Custom Build

Post by Mobius »

knowlzy0791 wrote:
Mobius wrote:Once you have a V-Carve project open, select File --> Import --> STL. Then navigate to where you saved it to on your computer and open it.

Is this a version 8 capability? My only options are Vectors, Bitmap, or PhotoVcarve or Cut3d Toolpaths
Yes, directly importing a STL and creating toolpaths for it are a V8 function.
Connor Bredin
Distinctive Dimensional Concepts Ltd.
www.distinctive-concepts.ca

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Post by PaulRowntree »

knowlzy0791 wrote:
The attachment Roann.jpg is no longer available
I came across a recent thread about using different Topo programs to essentially machine a desired coordinate of the earth. I have decided to learn this process.

I have read through the threads and manuals and from what I am able to grasp from them I have made it as far as opening the desired long and lat in the Topo program, and saving it as an STL file (see attached). I am pretty certain this is the approximate long and latitude judging by the river, I can't make much sense of anything else. :shock:

From here I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do :?: Last guidance I recieved was open the STL file in Vcarve and go from there. Only problem is I don't see where it is saved as an STL file at all, or where to Import an STL file in Vcarve.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hi!
BigTopo is much easier to use than Topo, although it doesn't have a graphical display. Meshlab does better graphics than I can program, and the two work well together. Topo gets confused if your area crosses over the degree increments of the map, and can't work with all SRTM resolutions. BigTopo will go fetch the SRTM data files for you from NASA once you define the area of interest, if it can't find the files on your computer.

If your VCP program can't load STL files directly, you can use the "STL & Image to CSV Converter" program (download from same site) to turn the STL file into a Comma Separated Values file. THen you can use the "CSV Gadget" to create a 3D toolpath that VCP can load and build into any VCP project (download same site, install according to instructions). When you load the 3D CSV toolpath, you can position, scale, stretch, rotate, etc any way you want. Because it is a toolpath, not a vector, you cannot edit it in VCP or Aspire. But you can just reload it again in seconds. VCP and Aspire can do the previews of the toolpath like any other.

Use the same tool parameters in both the STL & Image Converter and the CSV Gadget.

In the STL & Image Converter manual there is a step-by-step example of making a topo map of New Zealand from SRTM Space Shuttle data.

Feel free to PM me or post if you have any questions. I would love to see the final results!
Cheers!
pr
Attachments
STL Converter Manual.pdf
(1.12 MiB) Downloaded 163 times
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Blue Elephant 1325, Shark HD Pro

Post by Ms Wolffie »

I think I have done it before but I will notify you anyway that I have downloaded your files :)
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit
Cut3D, VCarvePro 6.5, Aspire4, PhotoVCarve, Corel Graphics Suite X6

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

knowlzy,
Top left button in your modeling tab.
scott
Attachments
top left button in modeling tab.jpg
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

knowlzy0791
Vectric Craftsman

Post by knowlzy0791 »

Thank you Paul, I think I will look into both, upgrading Vcarve to version 8 (been wanting some 3D capabilities for future sign making) and getting MeshLab. I attached a picture of my BigTopo attempt, Assuming I did everything right it could not find the coordinate file needed, and I could not find it on the given website. Does that mean there are parts of the MidWest in Indiana that are missed by NASA? (Boy oh boy the good ol' boys would love to hear that! :lol: )

Scott, the issue was not having the latest version which allows those imports.
Attachments
Map Help.jpg

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard

Post by LittleGreyMan »

That's perfectly normal, as NASA didn't release SRTM-1 files for this area.

Unless Indiana is now located in China, you'd better try -85,9.

Delocalization is actually a PITA :D
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

knowlzy0791
Vectric Craftsman

Post by knowlzy0791 »

Well I got version 8 and meshlab so I should have all the programs I need, and them some.

I guess I am not tracking exactly how the coordinates are put in I guess, When I google the coordinates for Roann Indiana it tells me:

40.9111° N, 85.9236° W

This is what I thought I had put into the BigTopo program. Am I understanding how these coordinate entrances work?

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard

Post by LittleGreyMan »

In BigTopo manual, Paul Rowntree wrote:For this example, enter the Longitude limits to be W80.275 to W80.141, and the Latitude limits to be N44.925 to N44.750. West and South values are considered as negative.
You used a positive value, that's why you see in the file verification section that N85E040.hgt (E for East) was not found, as it's outside North America, and no SRTM-1 file is avilable.

You obviously need N85W040.hgt (W for West). Note the minus sign in Google Maps screenshot.

BTW, you also switched latitude and longitude.

Go on, the goal is not so far!

HTH
Attachments
Indianapolis coordinates in Google Maps
Indianapolis coordinates in Google Maps
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard

Post by PaulRowntree »

LittleGreyMan wrote:That's perfectly normal, as NASA didn't release SRTM-1 files for this area.

That latitude is pretty close to the N pole !
Paul Rowntree

knowlzy0791
Vectric Craftsman

Post by knowlzy0791 »

PaulRowntree wrote:
LittleGreyMan wrote:That's perfectly normal, as NASA didn't release SRTM-1 files for this area.

That latitude is pretty close to the N pole !

Well Christmas is right around the corner. I just wanted to peek :lol:

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard

Post by PaulRowntree »

I can't see how to attach a file to a PM, so here are some details on the degree conversions etc, and a view of the region near the target area.
Attachments
knowlzy_text.pdf
(292.2 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
Paul Rowntree