3D newbie

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
Retired 1st Sgt
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

3D newbie

Post by Retired 1st Sgt »

I'm using VCarve Pro. I'm ready to venture into 3D type projects now but looking at all the information out there is like trying to drink water through a fire hydrant! Can someone out there think back to when they first started and come up with a few pointers for me?

What type of bits do I need generically, and When I enter them into my program what settings do I use?
What videos should I watch first?
What is a good source for buying 3D Vectors?
Are there any VCarve Pro for Dummies books?

Thanks

Mike

tonydude919
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: cnc mako shark ext bed with HD 5 gantry

Re: 3D newbie

Post by tonydude919 »

Watch the videos and do the tutorials. http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V8 ... Index.html look at the 3d stuff lot of info.

Tony
What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave

Retired 1st Sgt
Vectric Apprentice

Thanks Tony. It looks like the bull nose bit is most commonly used, is that your experience as well?

Mike

tonydude
Vectric Apprentice

Post by tonydude »

I use a .125 ball nose bit most of the time. When I need more detail I use a .0625 ball nose but it will take longer to carve.

Tony

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

As Tony has already said watch & follow along with the tutorials, that really is the best way to get started & a sort of VCarve Pro for Dummies lol
You know with the tutorials what the finished job should be like so it makes it easier to figure out where you are going wrong if you get different results.

Ball nose bits or engraving bits are generally used, I would have a look at a couple of the tutorials & start out buying what ever bits are used for the tutorials, plenty of time to experiment with other bits once you have the basics figured out.
As Tony has already mentioned smaller bits will give more detail at the expense of more machining time so it becomes a balance between getting enough detail to do the job against the amount of time it takes to machine. The preview helps me decide a lot of that before I even consider cutting anything.

As with any bits you buy the manufacturer should provide details on cutting feeds & speeds for various materials that you can enter as a starting point for machining & then fine tune for your own particular machine.

Have a search on the forum for places to look for 3d models as I am sure plenty of places will have been mentioned. I'm new to it all as well so my experience is very limited but I have used Vectorart3d & 3d model club. Like I say I am sure there will be lots of other places but don't know of that many personally.

Best of luck with it, you will probably find like me that it is quite addictive :lol: :lol: :lol:

Retired 1st Sgt
Vectric Apprentice

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

Mike

angelandthebear
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Desktop

Post by angelandthebear »

Saw "VCarve Pro", I'm new to CNC as well but best thing (I ignored recommendations at first) I did was to finally buy Aspire... Took a trip to visit Scott "scottart" to finally convince me to give up the $$$ but well worth it.

Barry