V-carved cedar sign finishing options

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
RyanS
Model of CNC Machine: Homemade

V-carved cedar sign finishing options

Post by RyanS »

Just wanted to check in and see what the latest 'best' finishing is for cedar signs - specifically an outdoor finish. I've done a lot of reading and experimenting, and here is my typical process:

1) glue panel if necessary, sand and put 2 coats of shellac on top
2) V-carve sign
3) spray shellac over sign - 2 coats
4) spray Marsh stencil ink on sing
5) remove top layer - I've sanded and also tried face milling - both work ok.
6) seal with clear coat.

The marsh stencil ink has been a life-saver. It seems to work better than anything else I've found.

For the sealing part, however, most people seem to recommend Sikkens or Austrailian Timber Oil for outdoor use. However, in both cases they don't really seal the V-carved sections. I've found that any section that is painted doesn't absorb. Helmsman's Spar Urethane is the only outdoor sealer that seems to give a good, glossy finish.

Any recommendations on my process or other outdoor finishing products to try?

dhellew2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan 72 and AVID CNC Rotary

Re: V-carved cedar sign finishing options

Post by dhellew2 »

Cedar is a mildly oily wood so it's a good idea to wipe with acetone if you use a water based finish.
Lacquer makes a good sealer and is water resistant
My preference for outdoors is lacquer sealer then industrial alkyd enamel paint
Even when using acrylics we finish with two coats of clear industrial enamel preferably with uv protection to lengthen the life of the colors.
Marine finishes are best for wet or damp areas but are usually more expensive but do make good clear [usually with amber tones] finish coats

Everyone with some experience has their own ideas and preferences often based on the local climate; sun, wind, and moisture.

One example: latex paint forms a sheet as it dries so if there is moisture in the wood getting lots of sunlight the resulting vapor can cause massive paint failure whereas the same paint on the same wood with the same moisture on the north side will usually fare better.

Dale
You will get old if you live long enough!
Young = time, no money
Old = money, no time
Dale

RyanS
Model of CNC Machine: Homemade

Post by RyanS »

I've also thought of trying a clear automotive enamel - but from what I read it sounds like a hard finish like that would be prone to cracking if the wood moves too much?

Mobius
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CRP Pro 4848 Custom Build

Post by Mobius »

My process is 2 coats (brushed on) Helmsman's Spar Urethane in a Semi-Gloss, palm sanding with 220G between coats.

Hand brush the lettering with Rustoleum outdoor metal paint, then hit it with a palm sander (220G) to clean up where I got messy with the lettering and to provide a good bond for the next coat of clear.

Follow that with another 1 or 2 coats of Spar Urethane, again sanding between coats.

Connor Bredin
Distinctive Dimensional Concepts Ltd.
www.distinctive-concepts.ca

rbrague
Vectric Craftsman

Post by rbrague »

Good info
Thanks
Rick

gordread
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Professor HDX

Post by gordread »

Mobius wrote:My process is 2 coats (brushed on) Helmsman's Spar Urethane in a Semi-Gloss, palm sanding with 220G between coats.

Hand brush the lettering with Rustoleum outdoor metal paint, then hit it with a palm sander (220G) to clean up where I got messy with the lettering and to provide a good bond for the next coat of clear.

Follow that with another 1 or 2 coats of Spar Urethane, again sanding between coats.
This is almost exactly what I do. The only difference is that I will put the first two coats of HSU on before v-carving, then I will mask the sign with vinyl and cut through the vinyl mask. At which point I will spray a quick clear coat, and then spray with black (or whatever colour the client wants). Following up with removing the vinyl and two more coats of HSU.

Gordon

James M
Model of CNC Machine: TBA

Post by James M »

Gordon,

Where do you purchase the vinyl mask that you use?

Thanks,

James