Flue Toolpath Usage

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
NewAgent45
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark HD2 - Black Diamond CP v2.1

Flue Toolpath Usage

Post by NewAgent45 »

I'm a novice with some of the newer features included with VCP 8.

I want to create a rounded trough to be used for storage of Checkers on a Checker board table top. The checkers are cut from hardwood and measure approximately 1 1/2 dia. x 1/2 and I want to store 12 in each of 2 troughs. Just a simple rounded trough with a radius of 0.75 set 1/2" deep.

I know I could easily create and import a simple 3D model in Sketch-up. But I don't currently have a full function copy of the software. I don't have any other software to do this either. So I'm limited to using the tools in VCP 8.

I thought I might be able to do this with the fluting toolpath to accomplish results. After playing with the fluting toolpath I decided to try the following,

Steps:
1. I drew a single line/vector the approximate length of trough.

2. With this line selected I used array copy to create the rest of the toolpath vectors (39) with a gap of 0.025". The distance between vectors to be used for the fluting toolpaths will be 0.025".

3. I positioned these vectors on the project and could duplicate them in another location if I want additional "troughs".

4. I don't have access to a drawing program anymore so I opened another instance of VCP and did a quick side view drawing to determine the flute depth for each fluting toolpath (20). 20 because a pair of vectors except the center/last vector will be selected for each tool path. If you have more than one "trough" you may select a pair for each of them at the same time.

See the attached picture showing my Fluting parameters. Note: Please ignore the segments drawn on the left side of drawing, I originally was going to increment 0.050" increments but though this would be too aggressive for my machine.
Fluting parameters
Fluting parameters
Simulation pictures:
Simulation
Simulation
Test carve pictures:
Test results Pictures.jpg
With conservative feed rate settings this tool about 30 minutes to carve and I'm very satisfied with the results.

This method takes some time to create the toolpaths (20) because each increments flute depth and you must be careful to select the correct pair of vectors working from the outside to center. Since I'm using the same tool for all toolpaths you can select all of them and save them as one.

As a novice I have to ask is there a better way using my existing tools? All constructive comments are welcome!

Have a great day!

... Rod

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: Flue Toolpath Usage

Post by FixitMike »

Some comments:
1. Have you accounted for the fact that then ends of the trough will be radiused? I would consider making a pocket, chiseling the ends square, and then making an insert with the desired inside contour.
2. Would an approximation of the trough contour made with V bits and end mills work? A 1.443 x 6.5" rectangle VCarved with a 60 degree bit should fit. It would take a lot less time to program and run.
trough.crv
(58 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
Trough.JPG
3. With your method, only the first pass will be removing a lot of wood. The remaining passes could be done with the tool depth set at .5" as much less material will be removed with each pass. This should significantly reduce the run time.
4. I don't believe .050 is too aggressive for your machine. But the surface might not be as smooth as you wish.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

NewAgent45
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark HD2 - Black Diamond CP v2.1

Post by NewAgent45 »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your comments. You are right I could just use 0.025 steps for a few and speed things up. But the machine time is only about 20-25 minutes and the finish is great. The checkers fit perfectly too. As for the ends of trough I was concerned about that too how ever the rounded corner looks great and it actually makes it easier to remove the checkers from there storage home.

I like your alternate design idea too. I think for now I'll add it to my idea list.

I have been making quite a few tables with themed inlays. You can view them in on the home page and carving section of my website. http://www.customgraphictransformations.com/main.sc

I do not have the game table / checker board table posted yet. I'm still working on the design and I need to order more materials. Right now I'm working mostly on softwood versions of my table because of material cost and there seems to be more interest in the lower cost. The attached picture be low shows my current plan for the game table.
Attachments
Game Table Design
Game Table Design

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Rod,
Perhaps this way?
Certainly cuts down on drawing time:)
Note that first pair was Node edited to have alternating start points and spacing was manually set at my desired stepover(really low.02" in this example but gives me an excellent finish). Then I simply put a Y gap of .02" in my linear array and copied an appropriate # of pairs. I
It cuts down on air time doing it this way.
First pair is cut separately at a conservative pass depth, all others are cut much faster/full depth passes as they are only cutting the small stepover.
Hope this helps.
scott
Oh, a low safe Z1 and 2 really helps lower cut time with cuts like this.
Attachments
2015-09-24 09_18_59-CHECKER PUTZ.jpg
9.24.15 CHECKER FLUTING.crv
(966 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

davism5

Post by davism5 »

NewAgent, did you carve the actual checkers yourself? If so, can I ask where you got the pattern?

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

I know I could easily create and import a simple 3D model in Sketch-up. But I don't currently have a full function copy of the software.
Not sure what you mean, but the free version of Sketchup can easily do this with freely available plugins to export .stl files.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

Scottp55: Using the fluting toolpath the way you did doesn't result in a perfect circular arc. It looks close, but is probably more parabolic than circular. The OP's strategy is often the same I use for coves and roundover edges and can be drawn quickly with VCarve giving very accurate measurements to use if you know a little drafting. The cut time saved over doing this as a 3D cut will usually justify the drafting time.

4D

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Thanks 4D,
My numbers were messed on that first one...don't know what I was thinking.
Did this with the width of line at 1.5" and depth at .75" , But still maybe elongated?
Should I have added the radius of the .5BN to the line width?
Seems like it Should work----or where did I mess up?
Thanks,
I can see an experiment coming up with coins :)
scott
Attachments
1.5 wide X.75deep.jpg
9.24.15 CHECKER FLUTING.crv
(986.5 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.