Maintaining Kerning during edit?

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
hefty
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 2

Maintaining Kerning during edit?

Post by hefty »

I engrave part numbers in single line text. I use the kerning tool to get the correct spacing. Most subsequent part numbers are a slight change from the original. Whenever I edit the existing text, I loose the kerning spacing that I just set. It takes 5-10 minutes to readjust it perfectly so that all part numbers look the same. Is there a way to edit pre-existing text and maintain the kerning?
Thanks,
John

Charlie_l
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger II

Re: Maintaining Kerning during edit?

Post by Charlie_l »

Keeping this topic active. I agree, even when using single line it is frustrating when the spacing changes just because of an edit. I am also frustrated when editing rotated text, and it moves back to horizontal after editing. Any pointers in the right direction will be appreciated.
Charlie
Aspire, CAMaster Stinger II

sunshinejim
Vectric Craftsman

Post by sunshinejim »

The only thing that I have been able to do in this regard is to change it from text to curves and then just find the size and fit the new number over the old one - then delete the old one. That way you do not have to replace the complete number and the spacing will be the same.

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Blue Elephant 1325, Shark HD Pro

Post by Ms Wolffie »

Have a look at the Plate Production video.
b07-production-plate-function-web (2).wmv
If you use a spreadsheet with a loop instead of a row of names, you should be able to do it.
i.e.
1 cell = number
2 cell = number +1
Then it should be possible to do what you want.
You do need to know how to use a spreadsheet of course.
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit
Cut3D, VCarvePro 6.5, Aspire4, PhotoVCarve, Corel Graphics Suite X6

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I don't use vcarve for most of my design work, especially text so can't speak from experience but would this work without mucking up all your hard work. Type your text as usual & do any kerning that needed to be done. When you come to a part that needs edited make a copy of the text. Make your changes & sort the kerning on the changes only, copy the changes & then paste them back into the original document/list.
Bit of mucking about but if it worked would at least save you having to do all the kerning again :lol: :lol: