carving times too long. Need help

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
marinan41
Model of CNC Machine: Laguana Swift CNC Router 4x8

carving times too long. Need help

Post by marinan41 »

I have created a carving but it takes over 3 hours and surely there is a way to shorten the time.
Some buttons I need to change or settings surely. Help.

marinan brewer

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: carving times too long. Need help

Post by Adrian »

Is that how long it's taking to actually cut on the machine or how long VCarve is saying it will take?

Increasing feed rates/rapid move rates and increasing stepover/using larger tools will all cut down on real machining time but it all depends on what your machine is capable of and how much detail you want in the carving. They are not things you should change without understanding what they do and what the consequences are.

3D carvings do take an enormous amount of time compare to 2D work though.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Marinan,
Post the .crv if no copyright issues, and you'll probably get more suggestions than you want to deal with :)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

marinan41

Post by marinan41 »

Haven't actually CARVED it yet as I don't want to be using the machine that long time frame. Where can I learn about changing the carving times.. yes already did changing the speeds and feed but the Step Over, ?,. Need to learn What and How to do such. Any suggestions?
Thanks for your help.
Love this stuff but got to get these two jobs done.

marinan

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The actual times that VCarve is telling you won't mean a great deal until you've run an actual job and set the scale factor appropriately. A different scale factor needs to be used for 3D jobs compared to a 2D cabinet job for instance. You many find that the carve in real life takes a great deal longer if you've got the scale factor set at 1.

Stepover is set in the tool settings in the tool database. For the roughing tool 40% is normal and 8 to 10% should be used for the finishing tool.

marinan41

Post by marinan41 »

Adrian--
Thanks for the reply. I am only using a 90 degree V bit as I am just carving letters/words. My Factor is set at 2 now.

Not using a roughing nor finishing setting. Just V bit carving.

Don't really know how to explain it.

Thanks for trying. marinan

JoeM
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shop-Made Router

Post by JoeM »

If you're just doing letters and words then that doesn't sound like a 3D carving. You might be just choosing the wrong type of toolpaths for what you want to do or your vectors might be messed up. If you haven't watched the tutorials yet, you really should. Someone suggested posting your .crv file here. If you post it then the experts can quickly narrrow in on any issues.

marinan41

Post by marinan41 »

JoeM

Thanks for your reply. Yes, this isn't a 3d drawing...Just carving. I am using V Bits as Like that style. I have gotten it down to minutes now and will give it a try tomorrow. Lord Willing...

Thanks for all your help. If necessary, will post CRV file later.

marinan

Mobius
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CRP Pro 4848 Custom Build

Post by Mobius »

What is the pass depth set to on your V-bit? (in the tool database). I had a similar issue recently because my V-bit was set to only carve to a depth of 0.01 per pass, changed it to 0.25 and the time went from 5+ hours to something like 35 min.
Connor Bredin
Distinctive Dimensional Concepts Ltd.
www.distinctive-concepts.ca