Carving a board longer than your cnc table

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
woodworker1960
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark extended base

Carving a board longer than your cnc table

Post by woodworker1960 »

Asking for a bit of help. How can I carve a board that is longer than my cnc table. What is the easiest way to do this. For example, I want to make a growth ruler for a friend but want to make it 6 feet long. My table isn't that long. I've seen somewhere, not sure where, that you can "index" the board. I hope that's the correct term. Any help is certainly appreciated.

Thanks
Richard

woodworker1960
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark extended base

Re: Carving a board longer than your cnc table

Post by woodworker1960 »

Nevermind with this question. I found another thread that covers it. I guess I should log on more than I do.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

For others who are looking for it, watch the video tutorial on Toolpath Tiling. The help file also has the details on Toolpath Tiling.

From the help file:
Using the Toolpath Tiling options it is possible to machine objects and designs that are many times larger than the available area of your CNC machine bed. This process is also invaluable if the maximum sizes of your material pieces are limited. In both case, a much larger project can still be achieved by breaking the toolpath down into manageable tiles or strips, each of which can fit within the machineable area of your CNC machine, or on the available material blocks. Once cut, the tiles can then be re-assembled to form the finished piece.

The process of tiling begins by creating toolpaths based on the final object entirely as normal – at this stage you do not need to take any account of the available machining bed size. Once you have calculated required toolpaths, click on the toolpath tiling button in the toolpaths pane to open up the toolpath tiling form.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I just finished a 3D dimensional sign 8 feet long in my 24 inch machine.

Toolpath Tiling is the way to go.

The tutorials are great.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

dhellew2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan 72 and AVID CNC Rotary

Post by dhellew2 »

One additional comment... it will be necessary to position your work for each tile.. you will need some method to insure alignment. One method is the use of guide pins.

Dale
You will get old if you live long enough!
Young = time, no money
Old = money, no time
Dale

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

TJ at Shopbot just gave a step by step tutorial very simple tutorial a few weeks ago for VCarving on my little 18X24" Desktop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di_ooYJ ... e=youtu.be
It's only one way to skin that cat, but at least you get to see a start to finish simple project.
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.