v carve inlay using v carve pro 8

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
tnorthrop
Model of CNC Machine: Thermwood cabinet shop 43 atc

v carve inlay using v carve pro 8

Post by tnorthrop »

Working on my first inlay and the pocket looks great . When I made the inlay the smallest size is the same as the pockets opening and gets larger any ideas on what I did wrong?? I read on one set of instructions that said to turn vectors on when you tool path the inlay but I don't see that option anywhere. Please help

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: v carve inlay using v carve pro 8

Post by Adrian »

Did you specify an offset on the inlay? If so did you get it the wrong way around perhaps?

You'll need some sort of offset on the inlay/pocket to get it to fit. Exactly how much depends on many factors so it's really a case of experimentation.

tnorthrop
Model of CNC Machine: Thermwood cabinet shop 43 atc

Post by tnorthrop »

I am using the v carve /engraving toolpath as per directions for v - inlays no where do I see direction or place for offset

eph210
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger 1 and Mabel, both with 4 axis

Post by eph210 »

Using the V inlay technique, you need to set a start depth for the inlay side. This start depth is the part of the inlay that goes into the pocket. Set the start depth a little smaller than your pocket flat depth so that it doesn't bottom out in the pocket.
Euan

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

tnorthrop wrote:I am using the v carve /engraving toolpath as per directions for v - inlays no where do I see direction or place for offset
Thought you were doing a normal inlay. The V-inlay is a different process. Follow the instructions and you should be fine. I haven't done one for a couple of years but it all worked as per the instructions when I did. Make sure you put all the values such as the start depth in. It's easy to miss that one.