question about finishing a project

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
GrandpaB
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shark

question about finishing a project

Post by GrandpaB »

I have a project to create about 200 small wooden signs. The signs will have some V-Carve text that needs to be colored so that there is contract with the background. I would like to color the text a dark brown and leave the background the natural pine color. After coloring I am thinking that the sign will receive a coat or two of polyutherene. I would appreciate suggestion on how I caol color the V-carved text. Thanks

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: question about finishing a project

Post by FixitMike »

I put a coat or two of gloss varnish or other clear finish on the wood before I VCarve. Then VCarve, and fill with acrylic paint, wiping off the excess with a damp rag. After it dries, I sand off what didn't wipe off. If the wood has an open grain like walnut or oak, I use filler first to get a smooth surface.

If the lettering is small, I may use a start depth of .005" for the VCarving to give me a little safety factor for the sanding. I may also kern the text so there is more space between the letters.

Last, a coat or two of the desired finish. This can be satin, even if I used gloss for the pre-coats.

Note: Clear acrylic won't change the wood color, if that is what you want.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

antennasDIY
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home made

Post by antennasDIY »

You need to seal where you carved or the pine will bleed every time. Seal the letters then paint and it will turn out nice.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

antennasDIY wrote:You need to seal where you carved or the pine will bleed every time. Seal the letters then paint and it will turn out nice.
Absolutely! I left that out.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

GrandpaB
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shark

Post by GrandpaB »

Gentlemen,

Thanks, for your assistance.