toolpath startpoints

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
Kworks
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot PRS 48x96

toolpath startpoints

Post by Kworks »

I am cutting 1/4" UHMW. The drawing was made in Design CAD 3D Max and imported to V Carve Pro. The Perimeter is 200" and there are 10 indentations on each of the two long sides. The toolpath cuts in one direction but the path jumps across the part to start points at some of the indentation. It is adding a minute plus to the cut. Can I delete the start points and have the cut run continous around the part? I have tried the differant orders - grid and shortest path have worked the best. Attachedpic shows the tool path crossing the part.
Attachments
toolpath
toolpath

JoeM
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shop-Made Router

Re: toolpath startpoints

Post by JoeM »

There is only one start point for each vector. If you have more than one, then it could be that your shape is created from a bunch of different vectors. In V-Carve you can highlight all the vectors in that shape and join them together. That will create one path with one start point.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: toolpath startpoints

Post by FixitMike »

Using a ramp and/or a lead in the Profile tool path will reduce or eliminate the plunge marks. Also, with VCarve Pro 8, they have added the option for a separate full depth last pass to clean up.

They will all add some time for the cut, of course.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.