3d disc ends up profiling-can i add tabs

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
drrobin
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Handibot

3d disc ends up profiling-can i add tabs

Post by drrobin »

I'm making a 'seat' that is 12 inches in diameter. I'm using a 12 x 12 piece of wood. I'm using the 'flat round circle' from the 3d clipart available as the seat portion and doing the text and a 3d heart on top of it... when I do the final 3d finishing on the circle, which I left for last, it 'profiles' my piece. Is there a way to add tabs to prevent it from moving? Or a better way to do this? I like the rounded sides... I've attached a screen shot of the final product with the last step being 3d finishing on the circle...
Attachments
3d finishing last step
3d finishing last step

dhellew2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan 72 and AVID CNC Rotary

Re: 3d disc ends up profiling-can i add tabs

Post by dhellew2 »

Click on the add tabs in the toolpath menu.
Remove tabs from the part with a pattern bit in a router table.

Dale
You will get old if you live long enough!
Young = time, no money
Old = money, no time
Dale

cac67
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joes Evo 3x2

Post by cac67 »

In a 3d tool path the bit will go to the bottom of the model. If you have the model with no gap below it in the material set up screen it will cut it out. The cure is to put a gap below the model then use a profile tool path to cut it out. The profile tool path is where you can add the tabs.

drrobin
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Handibot

Post by drrobin »

Thanks, I knew how to add the tabs but not on the 3d portion. Makes sense, I'll just make sure the 3d finishing doesn't cut through then add the profile as last. Thanks again! Robin