Update & Pics using Photo Vcarve to Relief Carve

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
Turtle49
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 4' EZ-Router and Blurry customs SK25

Re: Hard Edges

Post by Turtle49 »

kb18951452 wrote:I'm having a hard time because of Hard Edges, or where the edges of my shape are sharp drops in the Z causing my models to have crapy edges.... any thoughts?
I took you image that you had already shaded and ran a 2 pixel Gaussian blur in Corel. And then previewed the result in PhotoVCarve.

The edges just needed to be softened a little.

Hope this helps,
Tim
:D
Attachments
image0S6.zip
PhotoVcarve file with adjusted grayscale image
(896.89 KiB) Downloaded 714 times
preview
preview

mboydraska
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis homebuilt

Post by mboydraska »

Thought I would share a couple of projects that I tried from gathering tips from this forum. I took the images put them into gray scale and gaussian at 3 to 5 range. Made the gcode in PhotoVcarve with great results. Needless to say I had to play with the images to get the z levels just right.
Also cut 3 times each with different settings. But I like them, so does my wife.
Attachments
Produced with PhotoVcarve
Produced with PhotoVcarve
HAPPY CUTTING
Mike

Bruce Dorworth
Vectric Apprentice

Re: Update & Pics using Photo Vcarve to Relief Carve

Post by Bruce Dorworth »

Hey Ted, looking great! Are you carving these in VCarve Pro? I really like the flower one you did(new-13.jpg). Is there any chance you could share that file? If so you could email it to me. I am just starting, and if I could cut something like that out I would really be amazed.

Thanks,
Bruce
bad@prodigy.net

StuartC
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: DIY built

Post by StuartC »

I am new here and have the trial version 5.0 loaded. What specific settings in VC are used for this process. The settings choices are black and white and color. Black & White produces 1 vector, Color produces 16 shades/16 vectors). My art is an 8-bit grayscale .tif file (264 shades of gray). I tried selecting the color button and selecting one by one the 16 shades of gray to create vectors. I keep getting error messages with no vectors produced. Is the trial version limited or as I suspect is this operator error. :oops:

Turtle49
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 4' EZ-Router and Blurry customs SK25

Post by Turtle49 »

Hi Stuart,
Actually you need to use PhotoVcarve for this process. After you set up the photovcarve file you import it into VCarvepro to integrate it into your piece.

Does that make sense?
Tim
:)
Tim Hornshaw
www.HornshawWoodWorks.com

StuartC
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: DIY built

Post by StuartC »

Perfect sense. Thanks for the response. One more product that I will need to explore.

Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Hello to everybody.
I am new to forum and I am reading as much as possible most of the post.
This topic drew my attention because I have a license to PVC and I recently acquired a license for Vcarve.
Now after reading this thread I understand how we can benefit from these two softwares together.
Today we decided to play a little with the subject and was amazed with the possibilities.
I carved anything cause I still look forward to arrival of the bits that have recently acquired, but did not resist the temptation to post some pictures obtained using CPP, PVC and Vcarve.
Congratulations to everyone who contributed to this thread in this and other posts.

First I take one pic "Dover's Celtic Fish" posted by "HayTay" .

http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 2&start=15

The second work was a Celtic Knot made by myself in a CAD and exported as DXF.
I am eager to begin.

Nemo
Attachments
Peixe2000.jpg
Peixe5000.jpg
In Granite Black
In Granite Black
In Slate Black
In Slate Black

Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Nemo wrote:
..................................................using CPP, PVC and Vcarve.
.....................................................................................
First I take one pic "Dover's Celtic Fish" posted by "HayTay" .

http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 2&start=15

The second work was a Celtic Knot made by myself in a CAD and exported as DXF.

Nemo

Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Sorry , I has deleted this pics

Nemo
Attachments
peixe6.jpg
Knot33a.jpg

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee 1000x750 Mach 4 PMDX Controller

Post by wmgeorge »

Turtle49 wrote:Hi Stuart,
Actually you need to use PhotoVcarve for this process. After you set up the photovcarve file you import it into VCarvepro to integrate it into your piece.

Does that make sense?
Tim
:)
OK, I own VCarve 5.0 and was thinking about Cut3D. Now I downloaded the PhotoVCarve demo just to try this out, seems like it is going to take a long time to Machine these projects. Is there not something else on the market that will do the same thing and to also use photographs (not lithos)... only faster?

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman

Post by wmgeorge »

Well I tried something, just to see what would happen. Took one of the JPG images posted here into my DeskCNC program, made a carve file and then found out I could SAVE the image as an STL file. Took that into Cut3D (demo) also did some just try this and ended up with something that still needs improvement, But is a place to start.

If I can figure out how to post a image it will be here.
SliceForPVCSmall.jpg

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman

Post by wmgeorge »

wmgeorge wrote:Well I tried something, just to see what would happen. Took one of the JPG images posted here into my DeskCNC program, made a carve file and then found out I could SAVE the image as an STL file. Took that into Cut3D (demo) also did some just try this and ended up with something that still needs improvement, But is a place to start.
Oh, according to VCarve Pro it will take 27 minutes to do this carve and I think the size was 3 x 4 inches or whatever size the OEM JPG was.

tyskkvinna

Post by tyskkvinna »

Please excuse my total noob-ness, but is the toolpath generated in Photo V-Carve or V-Carve Pro? I have a different piece of software I can use to general the relief (I do a lot of work with 3d modelling) and do not presently have PVC. Can the 3d relief be carved in V-Carve Pro? If not, in what manner do you guys mean "integrate it into the project"?

Sorry, just a little confused. The work is really impressive.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

There seem to be several questions regarding how long it takes to cut this type of work and what software is used.

When the thread first started, two products from Vectric existed that would cut this type of project. Photo VCarve and Cut3d. Since then, Vectric rolled out Aspire which is a product that does this type of work much better than Photo VCarve. Photo VCarve is still excellent for doing photos. What I was doing is getting a little more out of Photo VCarve.

As to the time involved. If you look at what is being cut, it is apparent that all of the surface has to be cut. To get fine detail a small ball end mill needs to be used in most cases. The stepover needs to be small. There is no magic software silver bullet out there that will reduce the amount of time it takes to cut those surfaces.

You can however, get creative in how you process the cuts. If the work involves large flat areas you can pocket those and not wait while a small ball end mills chews it way through them. When doing this type of work it pays to think about it a bit before just creating a CNC file and cutting. This is not Slam Bam Thank You very much work.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

ten99jp

Post by ten99jp »

[引用="ファインディングニモ"こんにちはへ]。
私は、フォーラムに新しいと私は可能なポストのほとんどと同じくらいを読んでいます。
私はPVCにライセンスを持って、私は最近Vcarveのライセンスを取得し、このトピックでは、私の注目を集めました。
今はどのように我々はこれら2つのソフトウェア一緒に恩恵を受けることを理解し、このスレッドを読んだ後。
今日は予告と少しを再生する可能性に驚いたことを決めた。
私はまだ前方最近買収したビットの到着の前に見えるが、しかし、何も刻まれ誘惑にいくつかの写真を投稿するに抵抗しなかった使用して取得単価、PVCとVcarve。
おめでとうこのスレッドに貢献して誰にでもこれと他の記事。

最初に私を取る1つの写真"ドーヴァーのケルト魚が"HayTay"投稿者"。