Increase the performance of Vcarve

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
SBDesigns
Model of CNC Machine: IND CNC Router

Increase the performance of Vcarve

Post by SBDesigns »

Hi Everyone, are there any tips to increase the performace/speed of the vcarve pro?..I don't think it's my computer, I have an 8 core i7 with 16gb of ram and a 2gb video card. I find myself waiting a long time for toolpaths to compute. Also, scrolling and zooming tend to be a little choppy.

Are there any settings to increase the performance of vcarve? Can we get it to use more processors? Thanks!

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Increase the performance of Vcarve

Post by Adrian »

What size jobs are we talking about? 2D or 3D?

If you could attach a file (copyright permitting) that shows the behaviour it would be easier to track down any issues/solutions.

SBDesigns

Post by SBDesigns »

4'x8' sheets. 2D. For example I get about 60 parts per sheet...Here is a screenshot of only a 1/2 sheet program...and I get the same slow performance problems. The actual file is about 12MB.

Ideally this job would have "3" toolpaths and only 3 layers..the Slots, the The Pockets, and The Perimeters. In actuality, I have to break up the pockets and perimeters into sub layers so the actual toolpaths will compute. Otherwise, it sits and calculates for a while and then gives and error. When broken up, it's a much quicker calculation and no error. Frustrating.
Dhalf.JPG

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Seems strange. I do 8x4 sheets every day with many more vectors and the same number of toolpaths and it takes seconds to calculate. My PC is no more powerful than yours.

Hard to say without seeing the actual vectors but I'd hazard a guess that they're not very "clean" and/or there are some crossings/loops somewhere.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Otherwise, it sits and calculates for a while and then gives an error
What is the error?

FYI, it might be good to send the file to support@vectric.com to have the Vectric staff look at it. Support on the forum is primarily from other Vectric users (like me).
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

SBDesigns

Post by SBDesigns »

Adrian wrote:Seems strange. I do 8x4 sheets every day with many more vectors and the same number of toolpaths and it takes seconds to calculate. My PC is no more powerful than yours.

Hard to say without seeing the actual vectors but I'd hazard a guess that they're not very "clean" and/or there are some crossings/loops somewhere.
My curves are definitely not the cleanest..they are compound splines. I understand that would affect calculation performance, but the general UI performance is a tad slow too...
Rcnewcomb wrote:
Otherwise, it sits and calculates for a while and then gives an error
What is the error?

FYI, it might be good to send the file to support@vectric.com to have the Vectric staff look at it. Support on the forum is primarily from other Vectric users (like me).
It's the toolpath geometry fixing timeout error... It just doesn't seem right to me.. For example, if I select 10 paths and I set the timeout to 300 seconds it will caluculate until I get a timeout, but then I can select 8 of the 10 paths and and it will compute without any errors within 30 seconds. So now, I just set the timeout to 30 seconds and if I get an error, I split the layer in half...sometimes I have to split the layer into 5 or 6 sub layers.

Also, I forgot to mention, when saving a these files, they take minutes to save...is that normal?

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Hi,

Try to identify if it's a PC issue or a Vcarve issue.

If your PC is slow at other tasks, it may be a HD problem, a virus, or a painful anti-virus, …
Take care of updating Windows and your anti-virus software.

Can you post a picture of a single drawing in the edit node mode? If curves are not clean, you may have a huge amount of nodes, which will considerably slow down computation.

In this case, re-drawing the vectors with Vcarve with a minimum of control points will probably dramatically improve performance.

HTH
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

As Randall says if you don't want to post the file here then you can send it support@vectric.com for an answer from the "horses mouth".

If your vectors are looping etc then that will dramatically slow down most operations. From what you've said I will put money on it being an error in the actual vectors.