VCarve Help Needed

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
swonser
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Desktop

VCarve Help Needed

Post by swonser »

Hello, I'm trying to VCarve a Dodger logo to give my Dad for father's day. It seemed like a simple task, but like most things CNC I'm finding it to be difficult. The problem is that the software creates a toolpath that doesn't follow the natural lines of the logo. That creates a strange looking result. I'm attaching pictures of the toolpath and the preview so that you can see what I mean. It is most evident in the bottom of the 'g' character and the loop on the 'D'. I tried to attach the .crv file but it crashes the forum software deleting everything that I wrote.

The only way that I can see to fix the problem would be to break the logo up into a series of smaller overlapping vectors that would force the toolpath to follow the natural lines.

Is there a better way?

Thanks!
Steve
Attachments
Cut Preview
Cut Preview
Toolpath
Toolpath

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: VCarve Help Needed

Post by Adrian »

It's doing what I would expect it to. To the human eye it looks wrong because we're expecting the line off the bottom of the S to be a smooth edged contour but there's no way the software can work that out based on how the vectors go.

The easiest way to sort it would be to make the line a continuous vector and create closed sections for the part of the g that are then broken up.

Art Mann
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger

Post by Art Mann »

I agree with Adrian that what you are seeing is the normal result when using the V-carve toolpath. It sounds like you haven't carved it yet. I suggest you go ahead and carve as designed on scrap and see if the result is really as objectionable as you are thinking. I have done hundreds of v-carves like that and people don't seem to notice or care. A really sharp paint job using a paint mask will make more difference than the shape of the bottom of the V groove.

There is one alternative if the size of the item you are carving is big enough. You could switch to a 1/8 end mill or even a 1/16 single flute and cut it as a pocket. I have done that often when the V-carve toolpath was not appropriate for some reason.

CraigW
Vectric Craftsman

Post by CraigW »

Looks right to me.
The dark line is showing the center of your router bit, and the path that it will take. V-Carve will perform all the magic needed to carve to the dotted outline.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

It does not look right to me...yes, it is the expected (and normal) path, but it looks "off" to me.

One method would be to isolate the "Dod", the "g", the "ers" and the flourish from the "s" into separate closed-vector v-carve toolpaths. You may have to experiment a little where to truncate the closed vectors so that the v-carves don't interfere with the adjacent ones and keep a "flowing" appearance. The toolpath preview will be very helpful to determine when you've dialed it all in.

Maybe a better idea: Keep the original vectors to carve as-is, but also make closed vectors for the "g" and "s" flourish overlap areas to "clean" the crossover areas.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

dvaskie127
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4

Post by dvaskie127 »

Did you get it figured out? What type of toolpath did you use, engrave profile?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The post is over two years old now and swonser (the OP) hasn't logged onto the forum for 8 months.

It's a shame that many of the people who asked for and get help from the forum never post to say if they took the advice, tried something different, or gave up. It makes the forum a much less complete resource for users than it might otherwise be.

In this particular example the software is doing exactly what it's supposed to with the VCarve toolpath. As Michael pointed out it would need additional vectors to be created to get a different result where the flourish crosses over the letters.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Adrian wrote:The post is over two years old now and swonser (the OP) hasn't logged onto the forum for 8 months.

It's a shame that many of the people who asked for and get help from the forum never post to say if they took the advice, tried something different, or gave up. It makes the forum a much less complete resource for users than it might otherwise be.
Adrian,

on other Forums we call them Seagulls, they drop a load and keep on flying :D :D :D

I agree with you, it would be nice if OPs would get back on the Forum and give final updates.
John
Maker of Chips