Cutting foam

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
knowlzy0791
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: PAE 110SD Series/Mach3 Software

Cutting foam

Post by knowlzy0791 »

http://www.uline.com/BL_863/Convoluted-Foam-Sets

Was thinking of ordering some of this foam to practice with before I buy high dollar stuff for my actual products. I have been recommended to get a "carbon cutter" bit for the high dollar foam. (Still have to find one of those). I was wondering if anyone has cut anything like this and had some knowledge on bits/speed rate/ spindle speeds or anything of that nature to keep my scrapping to a minimum!!

Also would the carbon cutter be the best choice for both of these types of foams?

Thanks!

kyeakel
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger STV4800

Re: Cutting foam

Post by kyeakel »

I have doubts that the foam at your link will cut very well. Also, it is a very soft foam and would not mimic sign foam products. I use 1" or 2" rigid foam insulation from a lumber yard, it's usually blue, green or pink. While not nearly as hard as sign foam it does cut cleanly. Make sure you have adequate dust collection or the small foam bits will stick to everything and are a nuisance to clean up.

Kipp
CAMaster Stinger 1
Shopbot PRT 9648
STV4800
Aspire
Cut2d,Cut2dLaser

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

What products are you planning on making? It would make it easier to suggest suitable practise materials. Are you sure it's a "carbon" cutter and not "carbide" that you're looking for?

ohiococonut
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus HD & Custom built 4x4

Post by ohiococonut »

I would ask the same question Adrian did.
The egg shell foam, as it's commonly referred to, in your link is usually cut with a hot wire or knife dies.