Mounting a plaque on a wall.

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
Phil
Vectric Wizard

Mounting a plaque on a wall.

Post by Phil »

I wanted to use a french cleat to support the weight of a heavy plaque on a wall but I also wanted the plaque to be flush with the wall. My solution was to rout an integral french cleat. I routed a recess into the back of the plaque and cut the top edge of the recess with a dovetail bit. Then I made a small mounting bracket with an angle that matches the dovetail angle. The thickness of the mounting bracket matches the depth of the recess in the back of the plaque. Shopbot for the recess, hand plane for the mounting bracket.

Phil
Attachments
French Cleat A (Small).JPG
French Cleat B (Small).JPG

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Mounting a plaque on a wall.

Post by mtylerfl »

Looks good, Phil. Thank you. That's a good technique to share for those who haven't seen that before.

I do have a question: What is the countersunk hole for (near the center of the plaque)?
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

Thanks Michael. There are two CSK holes. There are for attaching the carousel horse to the front of the plaque.

Phil

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Ahh, yes - of course! I didn't realize it was the horse head plaque mount!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

dhellew2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan 72 and AVID CNC Rotary

Post by dhellew2 »

Phil's method [in my opinion] is the only way to mount cabinets especially in older home remodels; the mounting plate is screwed to the studs, shimmed as necessary to make the plate absolutely straight and plumb horizontally. Another plate is fastened at the bottom of the cabinets to make them hang plumb vertically. Cabinet end plates or trim hides the mounting plates and gap.

Another method for hanging just about everything on the wall, one that I use most of the time is the key-slot Find the balance point then cut a vertical key-slot.
If you don't feel comfortable with finding the balance point cut a horizontal key-slot an inch or two with the key-slot centered on item to be hung.

A key-slot can hold as much weight as the shear or pullout of the fastener [nail/screw] and the key-slot's t-shape prevents the item from falling off the fastener.

For larger or wider items make two horizontal key-slots, offset one start point to facilitate slipping the parts over the two fasteners
stair shelf.jpg
Mounted using two horizontal key-slots one at the top, one at the bottom

CAUTION: single cutter t-slot bits are really hard to use unless cutting with a guide or CNC [key hole gadget]
I prefer and only use to tip t-slot cutters

Dale
You will get old if you live long enough!
Young = time, no money
Old = money, no time
Dale

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

I would suggest making the bracket (top half of the french cleat) smaller in the vertical dimension. Wood glue will provide more than enough strength to keep it in place. Glueing also permits making the cleat thicker, as you do not have to leave enough thickness in the plaque for a screw.

I make my french cleats as wide as practical for stability.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Vytek 4' X 8' - Perske Spindle - Mach3

Post by ChrisInEstes »

French Cleats are a great way to hang signs 'n stuff.

For those that want to buy a solution rather than making one, there are these. http://www.hooksandlattice.com/cleat-hangers.html

Chris
Aspire 9.5 - FlexiEXPERT 11 - Vytek Rebel 4' x 8' - 5HP Perske Spindle