Text on Text Carving

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
Fleming
Vectric Wizard

Text on Text Carving

Post by Fleming »

Having been asked by CNC friends to teach them the process and seeing the topic come up on the forums fairly often, I decided to document the process I use to do Text on Text, also referred to as Stacking Text. Enclosed find a PDF of the process I use. I hope it is clear and of use.
Text on Text Sign
Text on Text Sign
TEXT ON TEXT VCarving.pdf
Text on Text V-Carving
(271.12 KiB) Downloaded 2736 times
Cobblewood Carver

BessieHunter
Model of CNC Machine: NWA Shark II

Re: Text on Text Carving

Post by BessieHunter »

Thank You, Fleming

Dave

vgraves
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Router Parts PRO4848 w/LinuxCNC

Post by vgraves »

Thanks for the guide...I'm sure it will be useful!

Van

kenlyall
Model of CNC Machine: emco

Post by kenlyall »

Cheers mate
Ken

GaryR6
Vectric Wizard

Post by GaryR6 »

Thanks.........Always good to have the know how and have it in the offering.

antennasDIY
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home made

Post by antennasDIY »

Thanks I will give it a try!!

antennasDIY
Vectric Craftsman

Post by antennasDIY »

So I think I got it. The layers I have not messed with much and I had some issues moving vs copying and then stuff not showing up when copied to a new layer, but I got it I think. But here is another question. I want to have a date at the bottom which isn't part of the toolpaths for top or bottom text, but by itself. Should it just be added to the bottom text toolpath? If so how do I get the top toolpath to not cut it and leave it full height?

Andrew

Fleming
Vectric Wizard

Post by Fleming »

If by text at the bottom you mean at the deepest level then again you need to make sure it is isolated from all other text and symbols which are on the top layer. If close to any of those then make sure that nearby top level text is offset to avoid being cut. Always keep in mind that anything being cut below the top level (typically at z=0) is treated by the software as if the deeper level is "0" in the sense that you tell it to start at a level below real 0. Therefore anything that is at the top level is in "danger" of being cut by any bit with sloping cutter sides - thus the need to have offsets. Clear as mud? :?
Cobblewood Carver

antennasDIY
Vectric Craftsman

Post by antennasDIY »

Well the text came out OK, but the V bit hit the outside cut while clearing the flat areas now! So it ruined the nice smooth edge. Sigh.

Fleming
Vectric Wizard

Post by Fleming »

To solve that problem you will need to offset the outline INWARD by the same amount that you offset the interior text outward. Frustrating to juggle so many variables but it sounds like you are making progress! :)
Cobblewood Carver

antennasDIY
Vectric Craftsman

Post by antennasDIY »

Ya I htink I will make one with out V carving, just go with an endmill and get some good results then keep going. Sometimes you need to see something positive to keep going. Thanks for your help.

roy_okc
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: DIY 80/20 ~18"x48", Mach 3

Post by roy_okc »

@Fleming,

Thanks for your time generating the instructions. I worked through them, made a couple errors along the way, but was close before I ran out of time.

Roy

weasel2003
Model of CNC Machine: shark plus pro

Post by weasel2003 »

the only problems i have with text on text is not being able to get a smooth finish in the carved areas. I use an end mill to do my cutting

Fleming
Vectric Wizard

Post by Fleming »

I have the same problem. Some things that help are making the last pass of the pocketing to be very light with minimal step-over. Also helps if the router bit has cutters on the ends in addition to the sides. Make sure the router is perpendicular to your table.

Perhaps others can make a specific recommendation as to brand and type that gives a smooth bottom finish.
Cobblewood Carver

lagadishimorto
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: blackfoot4x8

Post by lagadishimorto »

When distorting text between 2 curves ,upper and lower , and then try to weld this distortion with upper text which been also converted to curves,we cannot seem to get the desired result.Whereas when not doing a distortion and having all text converted to vectors prior to welding theres no issues.

Where are we going wrong? One time the drawing panel with all the drawing tools even disappeared after clicked on Weld command.
Attachments
The large name has been distorted  v shape
The large name has been distorted v shape
small name converted to text and grouped
small name converted to text and grouped