Problem creating tabs

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
GrandpaB
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shark

Problem creating tabs

Post by GrandpaB »

I have an application where i am routing an open path that breaks through the edge of a board. At the start and end of the path the tabs are not created. In other places the path also breaks through the board, but continues back into the board. in these palces the tabs are correctly formed.

I have attached a picture of the board showing the path and the tabs. In the upper left, the small green square shows the start of the path. As it cuts into the board a tab s not created, The path continues around the car body and cuts through the edge of the board. it then reenters the board creating the body of the second car. This time the tab is created.

The path continues creating the bottom row of cars. After the 8th car is created the path cuts through the edge of the board for the final time. This time the tab is created because I extended the path 1/16". The no-tab problem exists on on both the start and ends of the path if i do not extend the path. This behavior is a mystery to me. I would prefer not having to extend the paths. Can someone explain why this occurs and what i must do to avoid this in the future?

The parameters of this design are: 1/4" end mill, tab width 0.35", the tab markers are set 0.166" above the bottom of the car body, and the extends 1/8" outside the board (except when extended).
VW Routing Detail 2.JPG

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Re: Problem creating tabs

Post by mezalick »

It may be that your placement of the tab is too close to the end of the vector.
I believe a tab will not be created if it extends past the end of the vector..
For example a 1" long tab will not be created if it is placed .25" from the end of that vector.
I hope this make sense..

Michael
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com