Frustrated with graphics!!!

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
hbhbbb

Frustrated with graphics!!!

Post by hbhbbb »

How do I make graphics like these machineable? I keep getting errors in v-carve telling me to check for duplicate lines, crossings, etc.

I am converting to eps with Corel Draw, it will import to V-Carve... but I get the error while creating the cut path.
Attachments
gardening_graphic.jpg
gardening_graphic.jpg (26.08 KiB) Viewed 2545 times

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hello,

Take a look at Inkscape as recommended by Chris Lyon and it does seem to do an excellent job of vectorizing image files - and it's FREE!! > http://vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73

You can download the installation program from,

http://www.inkscape.org/download.php

Download the Windows .exe installer

Inkscape opens virtually all image file formats and the Tracing option is found under,

Path > Trace Bitmap - or Shift + Alt + B

I simply went with the default settings and the results were very good (see below). There is a Tutorial that explains how to use the advanced options and settings when Tracing (see Help > Tutorials > Inkscape: Tracing)

Use File > Save As and select the EPS option

Attached is the CRV file and the EPS file from InkScape

Hope you find this useful,

Tony

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Post by RoutnAbout »

I've also had problems with duplicate lines and get the same error message when the file was converted to eps, in both CorelDraw X3 and Illustrator CS. I've been able to delete the duplicate lines and still able to make the file work (not all files have duplicate lines).
So far I like Inkscape the best, as Chris Lyons and Tony have mentioned.
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Post by RoutnAbout »

Here is a Screen shot of the duplicate error message while calculating in VCW.
I've also tried to upload the eps file with the duplicate lines also, but the web forum won't accept eps files.

Don
Attachments
dup_error_image.jpg
Screenshot of Duplicate error message
(40.65 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

I've learned (the hard way) that a lot of eps files I get from people aren't machine ready. This is even more true for images I convert into eps files. There does seem to be an art to cleaning up some files so they machine right. One tip I'd give is that if you have VCW show the nodes you can move lines around and get them not to intersect. I'd also say that I've had some files where I've just moved the lines around but kept them pretty close and gotten some pretty cool effects.

Good luck
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)