Best way to make a box that is easy to assemble...

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
melarky
Vectric Apprentice

Best way to make a box that is easy to assemble...

Post by melarky »

I have seen some interesting ways that people make boxes with their CNC machine on these forums, but I thought I would throw this question out there to see what everyone thought.

I am interested in making little square boxes (with no top, just the 4 sides and a bottom). It would be a cube shape basically, all sides being the same size. I would use them as little planter boxes or something like that (just big enough to fit one of those small terra cotta (sp?) pots in it).

I may ship some of these, so it would be great if it was easy to assemble (maybe interlocking grooves type of thing) and easy to cut on the machine (one tool for all the cuts, no having to change tools). What do you experts think, what would be the best?

I have only made one box on my machine before (a jewelry box for my wife, and I did most of the angle cuts on my table saw, but I'm wanting to do everything on the CNC now, doesn't have to look as fancy as the jewelry box, that's why I think some sort of groove system would be good, could cut it all out with an 1/8" endmill or something).

I'm thinking I would probably use 1/4" material (not sure what type, I figure MDF would be too absorbent for a planter, but so would any wood really until you clear coated the inside etc...)