What is the best font for v-carving?

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
erikwinkler

What is the best font for v-carving?

Post by erikwinkler »

I noticed that the v-carving result of letters like an uppercase M do not have sharp angles in the corners, but are made/calculated round.
Are there any standard fonts where the deep carved lines of letter-corners of letters like M,N,K etc. are nice angular and sharp?

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Re: What is the best font for v-carving?

Post by PaulRowntree »

Hi Erik!
Are you getting square corners for simple shapes like rectangles etc? What do the corners of a font like Times New Roman look like ? Can you send a photo showing the problem?

V-carving is very sensitive to the quality of the bit, the true angle of the cutter, the accuracy of the Z=surface setting, and the stiffness of the machine. Rounded corners sounds like a cutting problems, not a design issue.
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Do you mean the inside corners of the letters or the outside edge? If it's the outside edges then Paul is on the right track.

If it's the inside edges then that's the way VCarving has to work with a round cutter to achieve the outside edge angles.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

How does it look in the preview? You can zoom in on the preview to look closely at detail.
TestZoom.png
If it looks sharp in the preview then you are dealing with mechanical issues such as a bit that doesn't come to a true point, or a machine that is rounding corners.

Try a Times Roman font such as the one used in this test file.
Attachments
Test.crv
(165.5 KiB) Downloaded 853 times
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

erikwinkler

Post by erikwinkler »

Let me first thank you for your replies.
The round inline corners are what i see in the preview.
The T like in the word 'Tes' is beautifull but somehow I get none perfect 90 degree lines.
Just can not figure out what I did wrong.

Mike E
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Mike E »

erikwinkler wrote:Let me first thank you for your replies.
The round inline corners are what i see in the preview.
The T like in the word 'Tes' is beautifull but somehow I get none perfect 90 degree lines.
Just can not figure out what I did wrong.
Could you post a example of your CRV file?

Mike
Mike E
CuttingandCarving.com

erikwinkler

Post by erikwinkler »

Hello Mike,
I typed this text in Aspire using normal Times New Roman font.

The red circles show how the toolpath makes round corners out of perfect angled corners.
1.jpg
Here you can see that the v-carve bit of 90 degrees does not make perfect square angles as like one would when handcarving.
2.jpg
Is there any way to concur this beauty 'mistake'?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

As I said in my earlier post that's how VCarving works. With hand carving you're not using a round tool to produce the effect so you won't get the same results.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

This is not a mistake. The VCarve method raises the cutter at the sharp corners so the outline of the letter is sharp. There is no way to achieve what you want except with possibly a very small diameter cutter, say 1/16" doing a pocket cut, and then you will have a 1/32" radius. You cannot get a corner that is sharper than the end of the cutter. Only V bits have sharp ends, and they must be raised to put that sharp point into the corners.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

erikwinkler

Post by erikwinkler »

Ok thank you for clearing that up.

nikonwalker
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Asteroid

Post by nikonwalker »

Pardon my stupidity but what makes the v bit raise to give this sharp point , when i do Times Roman the bit stays at the same z height and get round so called points.
I read the post but still dont understand what I need to do to get these sharp points
Thank you

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

nikonwalker wrote:Pardon my stupidity but what makes the v bit raise to give this sharp point , when i do Times Roman the bit stays at the same z height and get round so called points.
I read the post but still dont understand what I need to do to get these sharp points
Thank you
Are you definitely using a V-Carve toolpath and not a profile toolpath?

nikonwalker
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Asteroid

Post by nikonwalker »

Adrian
Many thanks , your comment has made it all so clear now , I have only been CNCing with Vectric for 4 months and its been a huge learning experience, learning little things every week, again thanks for the comment

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

erikwinkler,

I've seens this question on these forums a few times before.

To elaborate on what Adrian mentioned, the v-carve/engraving toolpath wants to keep the router bit in contact with two vectors at any given time. This has the drawback of cutting too deep in some areas of text. Note the crossbar for the "A". To the get the results you want it would have to ride on one vector for a small amount of time.

If you truly want a more carved-like appearance you'll have to do quite a bit of vector editing. Attached are two images and a v-carve sample file used to create the images.

There are four layers and four toopaths. The layer "regular v-carve" (currently hidden) goes with toolpath "regular v-carve 90deg" and the three "cut" layers go with there corresponding "[cut]" toolpaths.

Hope this helps in some way,
Steven
Regular v-carve toolpath with "rounded" areas
Regular v-carve toolpath with "rounded" areas
A more natural carved look (top of A and N not quite right) at the expense of much vector manipulation
A more natural carved look (top of A and N not quite right) at the expense of much vector manipulation
white man - test.crv
Sample CRV used to produce images
(320.5 KiB) Downloaded 454 times

sebashtionh
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: pilot pro 2642

Post by sebashtionh »

Rcnewcomb wrote:How does it look in the preview? You can zoom in on the preview to look closely at detail.
TestZoom.png
If it looks sharp in the preview then you are dealing with mechanical issues such as a bit that doesn't come to a true point, or a machine that is rounding corners.

Try a Times Roman font such as the one used in this test file.

sorry off topic but How are you getting that close with out it being pix-elated????? is there a setting im missing?