Little letters

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
Joe Crumley
Vectric Wizard

Little letters

Post by Joe Crumley »

Greetings Router Heads,

This is my first post on this forum and hope it goes well.

Every once in a while you might find the need for extra small letters. I posted this technique a while back. There is a panel in process which could do with some dinky little letters so I took a couple of snaps.

Here's the process: Using a 1/16 bit and Duna HDU I routed down .40. This was don in four steps. I'll see if I have time to do the same thing with some Cedar. It can be finished with stain and gloss top coat.
Next steps are at the band saw. The blade isn't critical. Here I'm using an old 1/4” skip tooth. You have to put down a false top to keep your letters from falling through the standard wide bandsaw throat. Now you will need to improvise a fence and set it for the thickness you want the letters. I usually get two sets out of my panel.

Little letters like these look very handsome when placed in pockets. Leaving a little slop so they look placed in the pocket. That looks more custom. These little guys are about 1/4” with extremely sharp serifs. This is so easy to do.

Here's the panel they will go on.

Joe Crumley
http://www.normansignco.com

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Little letters

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Thanks for sharing Joe. You do consistently beautiful work.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster MC4848

Post by MarkJohnston »

Glad you are over on this forum Joe, I've watched your work for a long time and you have a lot to contribute.

Great idea.

Mark

Joe Crumley
Vectric Wizard

Post by Joe Crumley »

Thanks boys,

I have several years of information stored up and would be glad to share, if I new what was of interest.

Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I have several years of information stored up and would be glad to share, if I new what was of interest.
If you could explain how you use negative (blank) space to draw the viewer to the design and improve readability I think that would be a great starting point. I know I have to fight the urge to assume bigger is better and more readable.

Again, thanks for your willingness to share.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Joe Crumley
Vectric Wizard

Post by Joe Crumley »

Randall,

Thanks for asking. I'll do my best and post under another topic heading. The Elements of Design are complex but the power of negative space is a favorite of mine. I'll gather a few photo's and post a little later.

Joe Crumley

woody53
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Meteor 25 x 50

Post by woody53 »

Joe Crumley wrote:Thanks boys,

Joe Crumley
http://www.normansignco.com

I like that font, what is it ?

Joe Crumley
Vectric Wizard

Post by Joe Crumley »

LHT Antique Fancy

Paul Stewart
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Scratch Built

Post by Paul Stewart »

Nice Idea Thanks for sharing - one question though could a person V-Carve the letters and using your techque incorperate the letters into a sign that is flat, cutting out the letters like you did with the band saw and gluing them in place, that way you get raised letters without having to pocket out large aras in V-Cave or Cut2D. Lay out may take a little longer but !!! just an idea any comments on this.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Joe - what a GREAT tip - thank you
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC