Done in less than 10 minutes

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
Warren
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Router

Done in less than 10 minutes

Post by Warren »

I just wondered if anyone has tried this method ?

One of the main reasons I have avoided producing decorative signs, made from timber, is all the agro that goes into the job.
Not the cutting, as with the Vectric Collection, things could not be any easier.
It's all the preperation work. Like giving your wood several coats of protective polyurethane sealer first. Then creating a paint mask of some sorts and using a stain that does not bleed into the grain. etc. etc.

I have been considering various options over the past months and this must be the easiest that I could recomend.

The material is pre-finished laminate flooring panels. (The size per board I chose was 1285 x 186 x 7 mm. (Or for those people still using the imperial version, about 50 x 7 x 1/4")

The example below was done as a gift to my local watering hole. (pub)
A local young man of only 32 years died recently and being a keen team pool player at the pub the landlord wanted a plaque to be mounted to the pool table in rememberance of the young man.

The landlord only mentioned this to me on Tuesday evening and he told me there was going to be a charity event held there on Friday. So I didn't have much time to waste.

The plaque is 225 x 65 mm, cut with a 90º V tool. (Don, if you see this, it's cut with the 3 sided tool I mentioned earlier)
Cutting time under 3min. Finished with one coat of Acrylic paint, dried in a couple of minutes, then I wiped off the top surface with a damp cloth.

Warren.
Attachments
Richard Schultka.jpg

Wemme
Vectric Wizard

Post by Wemme »

Hi Warren
Nice I like the contrast of the lettering Looks almost like you stained it.
Regards
Bart

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Post by RoutnAbout »

Warren, thats a great looking sign, I really zoomed in on the lettering on your photo and those lines and edges are crisp and clean... will have to try that tool!!
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

Looks good. That's a good idea to use the perfab flooring.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

Warren
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Router

Post by Warren »

Thanks for the nice comments Guys,

The best thing about using this material is that it's DEAD FLAT. :D I suppose that covers the old post about finding a flat piece of wood. :wink: Now we have something.
It's also available in numerous finishes so there must be something there for everyone.

Up side,
The pack of material I purchased cost £28.00 for 9 pieces 1285 x 186 x 7mm so thats only just over £3.00 per piece. (Cheap)
I worked out that from the pack of material, I could make 90 of the plaques from 1 pack. = £0.30 each.

Down side,
The base material of the product I selected is MDF. So without lots of polyurethane applied after cutting ( which is what I was trying to avoid in the first instance) I wouldn't use it outdoors.
You can however purchase other types that are constructed from solid timber in a ply method but the cost is a little more.

Finally on the tool I used, because it has three flat surfaces, it wasn't really a problem for me to re-sharpen myself. So I would say that if I can do it, without having to send it away somewhere, it almost the tool that sharpens itself. !!

Cheers,
Warren.

sunshinejim
Vectric Craftsman

Post by sunshinejim »

If you are concerned about the paint in the lettering bleeding - try using coloured ink from a store that sells stencil ink. You can find it in several colours and it will not bleed. Comes in a spray can. Stores that sell rubber stamps, etc. usually stock it. Excess wipes off with alcohol.