home position for z

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
NormanAlbert
Vectric Wizard

home position for z

Post by NormanAlbert »

Hi Guys & Gals: I have VCarve Pro 6. In the v-carve tool selection page, at the bottom, the home position is listed at 4.2 inchs. I need to change this but can't find where I do this. Any sugestions? Norm

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Re: home position for z

Post by tmerrill »

Norm,

In the Toolpath tab click on the upper left icon to open the Material Setup dialog.

Values in the bottom line is what you need to change.

Tim
Attachments
Home position.JPG

LindaC

Post by LindaC »

Is that home position in the bottom line the top surface of the material?

Thanks,
Linda

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Post by metalworkz »

Hello Linda,
At the top of the 'Material Setup" window the Z zero location is set either at the Top of the material or the bottom of the material per the radio button selected, and in the snip Tim posted the thickness is 1.0" but that is just the setting for the material thickness. With the Z set to 1" in the bottom text box for the Z, the Z axis will Home to 1.0" but the zero is at the top of the material so the Z will be 1" above the material height. So the Z setting for the Home position will be whatever height you input from the Z zero position you set. If the bottom of the material were set as the Z zero then a Z Home position of 1" would not be enough to clear the material. I hope I have described this adequately but please ask for more info if not.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

LindaC

Post by LindaC »

Hi Wes,

Thank you very much! Your answer clarified that for me perfectly. Have some more questions about the same dialog box :)

1) Now, when I save out the gcode, will the code tell Mach3 where my Z home is? As I understand it, we have to set the CNC to, say the lower left corner of our material to set the X, Y, Z zero points (right?), which sets the bit to the top of the material, but will the router then lift to the Z home position? Z zero and Z home being different references? Is there a rule of thumb as to how high to set the Z home?

2) How does the Z home position relate to the Z1 Rapid Gap Clearance? Will the router lift to Z home at the start of a job, then use Z1 Rapid Gap Clearance as it proceeds to cut, then return to the Z home position after completion?

3) I understand what the Z1 Rapid Gap is, but I'm not sure exactly what the Plunge (Z2) is, and how to determine what that number should be.

I'm sure you can tell that I'm a newbie. No CNC experience at all, but lots of graphics experience. I am going to be the one responsible for learning and understanding VCP, so I will be posting plenty of questions in various areas :) Will attempt to formulate questions that make sense :lol: Guess it's a matter of learning the ins and outs of a new software as usual, but additionally to become familiar and comfortable with terminology that is foreign to me. :?

I have read through quite a bit of the forumn and see that this is a very helpful community, with lots of folks willing to help and pass on tips and tidbits! Much appreciated, now and in the future!

Thanks again,
Linda

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

LindaC wrote:Hi Wes,

Thank you very much! Your answer clarified that for me perfectly. Have some more questions about the same dialog box :)

1) Now, when I save out the gcode, will the code tell Mach3 where my Z home is? As I understand it, we have to set the CNC to, say the lower left corner of our material to set the X, Y, Z zero points (right?), which sets the bit to the top of the material, but will the router then lift to the Z home position? Z zero and Z home being different references? Is there a rule of thumb as to how high to set the Z home?

Yes, the g code will tell Mach 3 where home is. The first move will move the tool to home position if it is not there already. Set Z home well above your material (1 inch above is good).

The g-code will save all the info that you told it: where x=0, where y=0, where z=0 and the home position. You must position your cnc where you want the x=0 and y=0, then set x=0 and y=0 in Mach 3. You set z=zero by referencing the same surface you told V Carve Pro to use, usually the top of the material or the top of the table - you move your bit there, and tell Mach 3 that this is z=0. Load your g-code in your machine and go.

2) How does the Z home position relate to the Z1 Rapid Gap Clearance? Will the router lift to Z home at the start of a job, then use Z1 Rapid Gap Clearance as it proceeds to cut, then return to the Z home position after completion?

Z home is usually higher above material than Z1 rapid clearance gap..and yes, and yes.

3) I understand what the Z1 Rapid Gap is, but I'm not sure exactly what the Plunge (Z2) is, and how to determine what that number should be.

This is the feed rate that you want the machine to move as it goes in the z direction. Depends on your machine and the material and the cutter. You can start at 20 inches per minute and try that - slow it down or speed it up depending on your results.

I'm sure you can tell that I'm a newbie. No CNC experience at all, but lots of graphics experience. I am going to be the one responsible for learning and understanding VCP, so I will be posting plenty of questions in various areas :) Will attempt to formulate questions that make sense :lol: Guess it's a matter of learning the ins and outs of a new software as usual, but additionally to become familiar and comfortable with terminology that is foreign to me. :?

I have read through quite a bit of the forumn and see that this is a very helpful community, with lots of folks willing to help and pass on tips and tidbits! Much appreciated, now and in the future!

Thanks again,
Linda

Good luck,

Angie

Greolt
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: UCCNC Router, Plasma, Laser

Post by Greolt »

LindaC wrote: 3) I understand what the Z1 Rapid Gap is, but I'm not sure exactly what the Plunge (Z2) is, and how to determine what that number should be.
I think Angie misunderstood this part of your question.

Z clearance is the amount that the Z axis will be lifted above the work between each cut. Some types of toolpaths will have lots of Z lifts.

I always prefer to have my Z clearance as small as I am comfortable with (often as little as 1mm) but occasionally
because of clamps, hold downs or other features the Z clearance will need to be much larger (higher).

So say we needed a large Z clearance, say 100mm, we can set the Z1 to 100mm and the Z2 to 1mm for example.

The Z axis will lift to 100mm, then rapid down to 1mm and then plunge the rest of the way at the set plunge rate. (which may be much slower than rapid speed)

In these circumstances there can be substantial benefit in overall machining time.

Hope this helps,

Greg

LindaC

Post by LindaC »

Thank you, everyone!! I think I see....light, light, yes, light at the end of the tunnel :D ...uh, wait...it's getting dim!... oh, yeah...forgot...I've got more questions :shock:

I'll be back!
Linda :)