And I'll probably play more with a pocketed design like the outline of Maine where the original wood shows through.
Original sign was 24" long, and I did the whole male in one piece of 1/4" curly Maple stock....WRONG!
I thought I was being smart by using the cast iron left wing from my Unisaw to distribute pressure, BUT when I placed it on from the wheelchair, it seated crooked and I didn't notice
Only the Maine section was usable....I rejigged it and cut the "Made in Maine" section down .1" and cut the female again in steps so I could actually see the seating.
Then cut that portion down and cut again...this time I cut it into smaller sections for better seating/clamping and used Padauk.
I should have just skimmed the whole thing off and done it again, but my Dad REALLY liked the Maine section, and the customer/boss/Father is ALWAYS right!
So I just faired the 2 sections together:)
THAT one was TBI as you can see in the bottom of the Maine gaps...I like CA better, but maybe I'll go Thick CA in the future so I don't get a dark coloration on end grain.
Hope any of this helps.