I have been doing segmented turning off an on for a while now. Getting things lined up during glue up is a challenge. Slippery glue is not fun. So there I was, watching YouTube and I see a couple of guys using a chuck on their tailstocks. With Cole jaws in them to align their work pieces. Well darn! So I found the tailstock piece that allows a chuck to be mounted on the tailstock. Cost all of $30. Then I shopped cole jaws. Hmmm, did not like those prices at all. So off I went to the local scrap dealer. All he had was some 1/2 inch aluminum plate. $23 later and I was the proud owner of a 14 X 14 inch piece.
Drew up my plans and processed it thru Aspire. I quickly discovered that the hole drilling was pretty darn slow. I can do it much faster on the drill press. I don't think a drill going 10K rpm helps anything one bit. I used the program to spot drill all the drill locations. Nice and accurate. I then used a .25 end mill to do all the outer contour cuts. That worked real nice. Did a .015 DOC at 70 IPM.
After that, it was a simple matter to drill all the holes out. What was not so fun was tapping all those holes. But I got 'er done as they say around here.
I will be using the jaws as you see here for alignment. I am not real crazy about using cole jaws to hold a workpiece while turning. That is just me. I prefer to use a donut chuck so I know the piece will not come flying off. After all the hours cutting and gluing pieces having it come off at almost the last stage is very frustrating.
They are working great! I have a bowl I started gluing up and alignment is spot on. Oh, BTW, that lathe is older than I am. It was born in 1946 several years before I was.
Low Profile CNC Router Vise