Grandson's Toy Box

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Grandson's Toy Box

Post by tmerrill »

Just finished a toy box for my grandson, who turned one recently. Used Aspire's 3D modeling tools to create the blocks with his name on the front.

Also used the new Version 2 inlay feature to develop the cutout toolpath and matching inlay pocket for the dog's head (one of the 3D clip art included with Aspire). I was very impressed with the inlay feature and highly recommend it to all. I cut the female pocket slightly oversize using the allowance and the fit was perfect.

Last picture shows the final inspection. I'm happy to report that it passed inspection and is in service.

Tim
Attachments
Inlayed dog face
Inlayed dog face
Blocks with name
Blocks with name
Final inspection
Final inspection

Greolt
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: UCCNC Router, Plasma, Laser

Re: Grandson's Toy Box

Post by Greolt »

WOW that was fast. I just got my version 2.

Heh Heh.... then I realised you name is on the beta testers list. That's cheating. :lol: :D

Great job on the toy box Tim.

Your grandson will treasure that box long after you are gone.

Greg

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

Hi Greg,

Yes, you caught me. I couldn't wait until I could show this project and tell everyone how impressed I am with the auto-inlay feature. I have been using only the beta version for some time now and it has helped me greatly.

In addition to auto-inlay, you are all going to be pleased with version 2. I have other projects completed or in progress that's using the new two-tool pocket, prism lettering, and bone-filleting features.

Other beta testers have done some fantastic work using the fluting and other features and I hope they post some more pictures and explainations.

Just days ago I got two sign jobs where I believe the color toolpath preview feature helped with the presentation and gave me an edge.

Tim

John H
Vectric Apprentice

Post by John H »

Nice work Tim. Are the hinges designed to slowly lower the lid? It looks heavy.

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

Hi John,

Yes, the hinges are very safe and designed for applications like this. They are called Lid Stay Torsion Hinges and are marketed here in the US by Rockler:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page ... 0box%20lid

They aren't cheap but are the best I've found where safety is a factor. Highly recommended.

Tim

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

I love the box. :) I was thinking about fingers getting caught aswell, but I see you took care of that with the offset on the legs and the hinges. Very Nice Work. :D

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

I offer this for anyone thinking of making a similar toy box or chest for a child.

Before starting the design, I did a little research on what would be considered safety features for a child's toy box and found the important issues are lids and hinges, pinch points, sharp edges and suffocation.

The lid and hinges work together to prevent the top from closing too fast and catching a finger or head in the process. That's a no-brainer.

Pinch points also involve the type of hinge used and where the lid comes to rest. One reason I left a gap between the lid and the vertical pieces was to minimize pinch points.

Suffocation surprised me, but it is a concern if a child climbs into the toy box and the lid shuts above him. The second reason for leaving the gap under the lid is to ensure a source of air should this happen.

Finally, all edges were rounded as much as possible. I originally planned to dovetail the corners, but felt this would be too sharp an edge so went with the vertical legs.

If someone is aware of any other issues, I'd be interested. With what I found out, I now put toy boxes in the same category as cribs - I'll make one for family, but not to sell. Too many liability issues.

Tim

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

tmerrill wrote:If someone is aware of any other issues, I'd be interested. With what I found out, I now put toy boxes in the same category as cribs - I'll make one for family, but not to sell. Too many liability issues.
Tim
Thanks Tim. :) I think your last line is sound advice. Generally, if its for kids I just stay away from it, unless for family.

PaulCNCMann
Vectric Craftsman

Post by PaulCNCMann »

Looks very nice, do you have any close ups on the inlay? Can you give some more information as to bits used etc with regards to the inlay?

Thanks

Paul
Thanks
Paul Mannhardt

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

Paul,

I don't have any other pictures of the inlay.

I outline how I did it in the Aspire Tips and Tricks section, "Suggestions for using the Auto Inlay feature in V2."

For this inlay I used a 1/8" downspiral for the small tool, left 0.2" of material under the dog face when I set that up and carved it, and cut the corresponding pocket 0.2" deep.

The results were so good that it looks like the face is part of the lid. I used cherry for the dog face and the lid is maple, but after finishing I didn't get as much contrast as I had hoped for.

Tim

BobF
Vectric Craftsman

Post by BobF »

That is really nice, Tim.
My grandson just turned 2. Looks like I may know what his Christmas present will be.
Oh boy, another project. Don't tell my wife though, I still haven't finished her bed yet.
BobF

Gippetto
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Infotec

Post by Gippetto »

Hello BobF

I really first should finish her bed, before doing anything else.
Or it will be HER bed only... :lol:

Ruud.
www.gippetto.eu