Dust collection

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
mailman
Vectric Apprentice

Dust collection

Post by mailman »

I am attempting to build a shroud for dust collection, I have noticed some use brushes, like a door sweep, to contain dust, I have also seen clear flexible plastic used. My question is , if you use brushes , such as a door sweep how would you see to zero your axis. Is clear plastic a better option. Thanks, Mailman

cabnet636
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster 508 ATC

Re: Dust collection

Post by cabnet636 »

James McGrew
http://www.mcgrewwoodwork.com
CAMaster ATC 508 24/7 http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

mailman
Vectric Apprentice

Post by mailman »

Jim, thanks for the information and the links. Mark

anxious

Post by anxious »

mailman wrote:I am attempting to build a shroud for dust collection, I have noticed some use brushes, like a door sweep, to contain dust, I have also seen clear flexible plastic used. My question is , if you use brushes , such as a door sweep how would you see to zero your axis. Is clear plastic a better option. Thanks, Mailman
I see lots of posts for dust collection, I've seen several working/attempting to work, and I've even seen many that have given up letting the machine make a mess while the operator leaves the room and cleans up after.

I purchased a used machine and the dust collector foot is one of the very best I've ever seen. It is a rectangular aluminum tube extending down the side of the spindle with two brackets holding the tube firmly but not inflexibly from above. The rectangular tube is welded 90 degrees at the base and extends through the center of the spindle. A round hole the size of the largest bit you would use plus a tad clearance cuts through the tube and a cap on the end maximizes the suction/collection. The spindle/collet can extend through the base almost to the bottom of the base. The base is a 1/4" piece of abs attached to the bottom to protect the material surface and provides a slippery but softish surface for the dust collector to slide along, the edges are rounded to allow the dust collector to slide up should the table surface/material not be perfectly flat. It works so well for 90 percent of all sheet cutting, I have no cleanup afterwards, and I can sit at the end of the table with no material left in the air. I simply raise it an inch to zero a new bit (don't have an electronic zero plate), then simply push it down until it his the surface, the abs is great a sliding but not scratching any/all surfaces.

I even created some dust boots with bristles like you described for those times when carving 2inch plus material with very irregular surfaces which are the only places where this boot seems to start to break down, but none seem to even do as well as this one even in those rare cases.

Oh in case your wondering, I do not have anything approaching the cyclone shown in the previous thread, rather I'm using a home made velocity trap on a trash can to drop anything larger than fine dust particles between the router and a, don't laugh, harbor freight 2hp (read as very inexpensive 110volt) stock dust collector. Only the finest powder gets past the garbage can so I've only dumped the dust collector once though it is due again. I've dumped the garbage can MANY MANY MANY times.

cabnet636
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster 508 ATC

Post by cabnet636 »

i'd like to see a photo of the foot ou have described, i am always looking for new ways!

here is the modified foot from my x3
and the new replacement for the 10 year old machine

jim
Attachments
IMG_3675.jpg
IMG_2472.JPG
James McGrew
http://www.mcgrewwoodwork.com
CAMaster ATC 508 24/7 http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

Larry Elliott
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Larry Elliott »

Mailman,
Here's a couple pics of what I finally built for mine after researching several sites for ideas. It is made from a piece of 5" x 3/16" PVC thick fence post with a nylon brush door sweep for the edge, and is mounted to my gantry with aluminum brackets for quick up/down adjustments. The front is hinged for bit depth access, so placing my z-zero plate under it is easy. This one is the best I've come up with so far, we've been routing a lot of PVC letters lately and if you've ever cut PVC you know your shop looks like a snowstorm has hit but this version gets about 99% of the chips and all the dust. It's hooked (along with my other shop tools) to a 2 1/2 hp vacuum with chip collectors and the fine dust goes outside the shop.
Attachments
dustboot-1.jpg
dustboot-2.jpg
dustboot-3.jpg
Larry,,,,
Elliott Sign & Design
http://www.elliott-design.net
West Tennessee, USA

moto633
Vectric Wizard

Post by moto633 »

Hey Larry,

What are the nozzels for? To cool the bit with air or to help with dust extraction?
Please explain and how or what are they hooked up to.

Thanks,
Nick

Larry Elliott
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Larry Elliott »

Nick, The nozzles are attached to a venturi air cooler and can be pointed directly onto the bit to help keep the heat buildup down. The cooler runs off compressed air, pretty neat contraption, as the compressed air moves through the venturi tube it speeds up and thus lowers the temperature, warm air is exhausted from the top and cold air from the bottom into the nozzles. It is seldom used except for hard materials or where speed has to be slowed for more accurate cuts. I suppose it would help keep the chips from escaping around the collet opening with enough pressure turned up but the air flow from the nozzles are not that much. With 80 - 90 PSI going in you only get about 15 - 20 PSI coming off each nozzle and the rest is out the heat exhaust port plus the CFM is very low.
I had just finished building this version of the boot last week and had several PVC letters to cut and some PVC signs to rout and it worked very well on those. Yesterday, had some MDF signs to rout and not a bit of dust on the table or in the air, so I'm at last satisfied that I can work in the shop without a respirator.
Larry,,,,
Elliott Sign & Design
http://www.elliott-design.net
West Tennessee, USA