Wood Box Lid

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
dmmobley

Wood Box Lid

Post by dmmobley »

I have been experimenting with bent wood boxes, made out of western red cedar for top and bottom and yellow cedar for the sides of the box. The box is 4 inches square, top and bottom, and the sides are 3-1/2 inches wide. The first lid for the box was plain and flat red cedar, but Aspire gave me the opportunity to create something a lot nicer for the top. The grain of the red cedar obscures the sun mask pattern but I knew that yellow cedar carved very nicely and the grain would not obscure the design. To preserve the visual balance of the box (ie red cedar top and bottom, and yellow cedar sides) I inset a piece of yellow cedar into the red cedar (using Asprire to create pockets and profiles), then carved the lid with Aspire, using the component I had made for a straight yellow cedar lid, scaling to fit the smaller area. Now I have to decide whether I want to change the sides to carving from the current V-carving (which is a lot faster). I am really pleased with what Aspire allows me to do !
Attachments
Box lid
Box lid

Turtle49
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 4' EZ-Router and Blurry customs SK25

Re: Wood Box Lid

Post by Turtle49 »

That's a very nice carving...Northwest Indian?

Nice job!
Tim
:D
Tim Hornshaw
www.HornshawWoodWorks.com

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

Excellent!

dmmobley

Post by dmmobley »

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, the design is British Columbia First Nations. Since the bent wood box is one of their inventions, it seemed appropriate, although no box I have seen had a carved top - painted design maybe. So, it is more my interpretation of their design.
.... Doug

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

Very nice. I was in Ottowa a year and a half ago and visited the Canadian museum of Civilization. The museum was fascinating. They had a large section devoted to the Indians of the Northwest. I saw a lot of artwork, totem poles and such that would make wonderful carvings. Your lid reminds me of the trip.