My latest try

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
moto633
Vectric Wizard

My latest try

Post by moto633 »

Hi all,

Well I tried making a set of grips inspiered by Joe of GripUs. They aren't as nice as his but it was fun making them with Aspire!! It is very cool that you can wrap text etc. around shapes in Aspire. I did it with my initals on these. The two rail sweep is also a priceless tool. Thanks Vectric!

I had a small chunk of walnut that need to be used so I cut them out did a little sanding and here they are!!

I think I might put pastewax on them. Any other thoughts on what to finish with?

Thanks for looking,
Nick
Attachments
P1000767.JPG
P1000768.JPG

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Re: My latest try

Post by metalworkz »

The grips look great Nick! I think the current color matches the lighter finish of the gun very well. Sounds like the pastewax or some other clear finish coat will work good. Thanks for sharing.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

Greasetattoo
Vectric Wizard

Post by Greasetattoo »

Nick,
Look sweet!
Did you scan the original ones in?
Or, just model them?

Clear lacquer works good on walnut.

Also, some of Forby's tung oil, works good too!
I have had good results with both!

GripUs
Vectric Wizard

Post by GripUs »

Hey Nick...lookin'good!!!
I always use a tung oil finish on my grips unless the customer asks for something else. I always believed a wood grip oughta feel like wood.

Keep up the good work!

By the way...once you have made the 6-8 thousand sets I have, yours will look as good, or better, than mine :)

Joe
Ham and eggs - Inconvenient for the chicken. A total commitment for the pig.
http://www.gripus.com/

Greasetattoo
Vectric Wizard

Post by Greasetattoo »

Joe,
6-8 thousand...
Wow...
That's alot of grips!

Keep up the GREAT work!

moto633
Vectric Wizard

Post by moto633 »

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Grease: I used my digital camera and imported the image in to aspire. I used a set of calipers to get the dims.
I then adjusted the pic size to fit the largest dims of the grips in a rectangle drawn to size. Then I did a trace and got the outline. And then I did a two rail sweep to get the curved shape. I wish I would have done a little sculpting I ended up doing some hand work with a file that could have been done on the router.

Joe: I think I'll leave the custom grips to you. 6-8000 is a whole lota grips!!!! I think I'll stick to building cabinets for now :lol: Do you ever make rifle stocks? or is that another ball of wax???

I am going to try to make one more set for my HI Point 9mm. I have some maple that would look good on it I think. Yes I know wood grips on a $100.00 gun is like putting lipstick on a pig! :lol:

Thanks again!
Nick

GripUs
Vectric Wizard

Post by GripUs »

Nick,
I haven't made any rifle stocks for two reasons. One, I just flat don't have time. "Sometimes, said the Red Queen, it takes all the running you can do to stay in the same place." That's me.

Second, if I was going to do it on the CNC it would be best done with a 4th axis, something I don't have.

We are, however, going to start doing inlays and 3D carving on rifle/shotgun stocks now that Aspire will allow me to do that. We already do some laser etching on them.

You would be amazed at how much people will spend on grips for a weapon that has only sentimental value, so custom grips on a $100 pistol is not unusal. In fact, while in deer camp this last week, one of the other guys ask me if I could make him a set for his Hi Point 9mm.

Joe
Ham and eggs - Inconvenient for the chicken. A total commitment for the pig.
http://www.gripus.com/