NewPort Shell

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

NewPort Shell

Post by TReischl »

This is what is called a Newport Shell. It is probably one of the most recognized furniture carvings in all of North America. It was done by the Goddard-Townsend furniture makers in Newport, Rhode Island in the mid 1700's to the very early 1800's. It is most obviously a shell, but if you look at the hatching and leaves in the center, you will notice that they are actually a pineapple. I always forget if that was a symbol of prosperity or hospitality.

It was easy to do in Aspire. The actual work part is drawing the shapes and getting organized, putting things on layers and planning on how to do it. The more I work with Aspire, the more it amazes me what an excellent tool it truly is. Hope everyone enjoys this one!
NewPortShell.jpg
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Marwellca
Vectric Craftsman

Re: NewPort Shell

Post by Marwellca »

That looks great. I am becoming more and more envious of the skill level shown here on this forum. I will just have to practice harder I guess.

Martyn.

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

Very nice!

Jason
The Official Vectric Cartographer

You are limited only by your imagination

Dublinman
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Dublinman »

T.Reischl - very good indeed. You've thrown down a gauntlet. Neville
Alchemy CNC ~ Where Technology meets Imagination.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

I would never throw down a gauntlet in front of a man who crafted such a magnificent thrown, he would be certain to pick it up.

The Newport Shell illustrates what appears to be a complicated carving that is actually quite easily accomplished using Aspire. I cannot emphasize enough that what I am finding most important is organizing and planning the method of work. If someone is having any difficulty using Aspire to create a model, I would strongly urge them to take a look at how the job is planned and organized. When first starting with Aspire, I tended to overcomplicate matters.

It also pays to keep going back to the videos to pick up those little nuances that were missed in initial viewings.

Dublinman
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Dublinman »

T. Reischl - For the record I did not machine the Scots Bar Stool - Truth or Blarney is a running joke between those Englishmen & myself. While I have an 8 inch Zee :-) & Aspire, even a kilt, and in all likelihood could make it, however, I did not. My apologies if I mislead anyone.
Alchemy CNC ~ Where Technology meets Imagination.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

No apologies necessary! That is the best post I have ever seen on a forum.

Greasetattoo
Vectric Wizard

Post by Greasetattoo »

What is a 8" zee??? :D

rgbdisain

Post by rgbdisain »

My version of Newport shell, lots of two rail sweeps. Actually I did it in Rhino, because I have trial version of Aspire and I can’t export models from it. I have tried the modeling in Aspire also and it is easier then Rhino (making reliefs).

Regards
Andres
Attachments
1.jpg
21.jpg
Vectors
Vectors

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Nice to see someone else had a go at the Newport shell.

They are a bit of a challenge and it helps to see them in person, or else to have a book that shows lots of pictures. I am going going to make a couple of comments here. I realize that you have created your 'version' and as a carver that is certainly your right. I don't just blindly copy things myself. But if you are trying to duplicate a Newport shell more exactly there are some things you should know:

The main shell is comprised of what I call innies and outies. Your shell has the innies transitioning into outies and vice versa. It is most apparent in the central flute which should actually be an innie, but is modeled as an outie.

A carver of that time period would have had a devil of time carving your design given the transitions.

Like I said earlier, I only make these comments if you trying to get very close to looking like a Newport shell, otherwise, hey, your design is great! I like your treatment of the interior details. The shell within a shell is interesting.

Unfortunately, I do not have access to my sweeps and rails on this computer or I would include them. The sweeps were simple arcs, the rails were very similar. A pair of rails for each "innie" and each "outie".

Thanks for posting.

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

TR- when you have the chance and think about it, could you post a screenshot of your vectors? I think it would interesting to see the differences between the two. Both of you did a AWESOME job by the way.

Jason
The Official Vectric Cartographer

You are limited only by your imagination

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Who am I to refuse a request from the Official Cartographer?

Here is an image of the rails and sweeps I used. There is also an outline.
new-1.jpg
The outline forms a base for the lobes (outies) to sit on, and also something for the "innies" to carve into.

I used the round over end function when doing the outies to get the nicely rounded over ends, go figure!

You will also notice the purple sweeps are not symmetrical, I got them from the outline, it keeps the shape from looking too "computer generated".

So instead of trying to define sweeps with that little notch in it, I just let the base create it. Aspire makes it easy!

Hope this helped everyone out!

Khalid
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Khalid »

Wow... Salute to geniuses of vectric forum i.e.TReischl and Andres.. very nice work indeed..especially the work u did on vectors..Thanks for sharing ur ideas with us..pls keep up posting...