Has any one cut any thing yet?

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
radavis

Re: Has any one cut any thing yet?

Post by radavis »

DavidCousins wrote:Hey now, I cut some stuff a while ago. Here's a video. You probably saw it and forgot.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DavidCousins
Two designs I made from scratch. I'm not a pro, just a hobbiest.
Hi David
do you mind tell me how you contacted the rod on your watch winder I been looking at making something like that.
Thank
Robert

zlmark
Vectric Craftsman

Post by zlmark »

Say Marv, first of all I really like your color affair, I'm a big fan of the
antique look.
Here is my question. When I first looked at your piece I thought you
somehow incorporated and sanblast background, great deception!
How did you rout out the background? I'm very curious about how
you got so close to the edges of the border and made it look sandblasted.
What were your settingings for the texturing toolpath and bit?
thanks in advance for your help. Keep up the good work!

Mark
Mark Summers
The Sign Shoppe of Summit County
http://www.SignShoppe.co

lstovall
Vectric Craftsman

Post by lstovall »

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the compliments. The background is not a texturing tool path but the whole sign is a 3D model done in Aspire. My name and the dark maroon trim are V-Carved. I did the background from a photo of one of the wood files in Aspire. I believe it was the Mahogany one. I made about four copies and lined them up so it looked like one bigger piece. I opened it in Corel Photo-Paint and gray scaled it. While in there I played with the contrast and blurring some then saved it as a bitmap. Imported that into Aspire to make the background as a component. The hand is one of James Booth models imported into the design. The borders/frame is made into a component from a vector file from Vectric. The whole thing was put together, cut with a 1/8" tapered ball nose from Beckwith Decor then the name and trim on the frame were V-carved with a 90 deg bit. I like the texture feature in V-Carve and Aspire but it is almost impossible to make it look like real sandblasted wood. I didn't find it that difficult to make my own from a photo, just took a little while playing with the settings. After importing it into Aspire, I played with some sculpting and smoothing to get it like I wanted. The colors turned out a little darker than I planned but it was the first time I ever painted anything like that. Oh yea, I don't know if I said before but the sign is 18" wide by 20" high.
Marv

zlmark
Vectric Craftsman

Post by zlmark »

Good poop Marv. I think you have Aspire dialed in. I'm definitely going
to give the wood grain effect a whirl. You did a great job of fooling
someone that has done a boat-load of sandblasting with signs.

Mark
Mark Summers
The Sign Shoppe of Summit County
http://www.SignShoppe.co

lstovall
Vectric Craftsman

Post by lstovall »

Thanks Mark, it was a lot of fun and really helpful in getting to know my way around Aspire. I still have a long way to go but I've got a good start.
Marv

calgrdnr
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot prt with 4g upgrade

Post by calgrdnr »

but it was the first time I ever painted anything like that
Wow , I looked at it and said to self, I wish I could make a sign like that . .. I figured you make a living doing that so, I didn't feel to bad ... now I guess I will have to hang my head in shame for not trying it yet .. :) Thanks for posting it and the procedures used.

lstovall
Vectric Craftsman

Post by lstovall »

No, that was my first one. I don't make a living doing it but would like to. I had an excellent mentor, Joe Crumley. Fantastic guy! Just bow up and try it, keep trying different things till you get what you want. That is one good thing about software, it wont break just because you click on the wrong button.
Marv

calgrdnr
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot prt with 4g upgrade

Post by calgrdnr »

I agree the software is a piece of cake .... I was refering to your painting skills . I find the finishing part the most intimidating :) . I have heard Of Joe Crumley . shopbot site I believe ... thanks again for youre post. I will giove this a try soon .. well after xmas gifts :)