Spalted maple 3D project

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Spalted maple 3D project

Post by Xxray »

Don't often use woods like this for 3D, they usually wind up looking a bit too busy and distracted. The striking grain patterns dominate the model, and even hide it sometimes. I calculated this one wouldn't be too bad and I do love spalt, so I took a chance and it paid off. Doing 3D with spalt is really a matter of luck. You can have a peice with fantastic spalt on the surface, but cut down .25 or .3 and you may wind up with little or nothing, and vice versa. The edges to give you clues though, and I saw that cutting on one side would be better than the other, but theres no real way that I know of to tell exactly what you'll end up with.

I am pleased with this result, spalt looks great but not over powering. Kinda tough to coat, I have 3 coats of matte clear coat on this, sanding in between coats, and some areas almost look like it has no coat, others just the opposite. Also not the best cutting wood out there, turned out a bit rougher than I'm used to with, say, walnut, purpleheart or yellowheart.
I set the base height a tad too high, don't know if the pic shows it but there area areas that the bit couldn't quite sculpt correctly and it left a ridge. Silly error, not real reason to increase the base height, I wanted it to pop a bit more but this can be achieved in other ways. The lettering turned out weak, since they are so small I didn't want to vcarve so I used an engraving bit with a pocket projected on 3D. Turned out ok but I should have went a bit deeper. Even deeper they wouldn't be all that visible, I might just trace them in maybe a light brown color then give it one last coat of clear coat and call it good.

This took around 6 hours using a 1/32 tapered ball nose with 14% stepover, also used a roughing pass as this "standing proud" model cut pretty deep [slab was .9 thick], and of course time for the lettering as well.
Attachments
IMG_4486.jpg
IMG_4487.jpg
Doug

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Re: Spalted maple 3D project

Post by Savannahdan »

I really like the spalted maple. Of course that comes from someone who has made sure to let some of the wood I have cut gets spalted. I know what you mean by there are spots that don't look like you have put anything on them. Not that I see those in your project but I've had some that seem to take a gallon of tung oil just in one or 2 spots. I generally start out with a couple of coats of zinser shellac. But, the spalting in your project looks great. I do see what you mean about the lettering. Maybe you could hit them with some slightly darker stain. Otherwise, I like it.

WNC_Ed
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4 AXYZ 4010

Post by WNC_Ed »

Wow, that looks spectacular!
Congrats!

As for the letters, I think a blood red would make them pop and still stay within the theme.
Just a thought.
Maker of sawdust

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Looking at the end grain, the spalt seems to taper out fairly True, but like you said Doug....It's usually a toss of the dice....And You Won on this one!!! :) :)
Really wonderful effect on this one!!

Yep,a coat or two of Zinser unwaxed may have helped with your finish to block some of the punkiness/sponge effect(?)
Like Dan, I'm mainly an oil guy...and swear some of my pieces if ever torn apart will be mainly dried oil:)

PERFECT Macabre effect for Halloween Doug!!
Charge extra for this one:)

Thanks for the details!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Yeah I'll have to so something about the lettering. I already tried deepening them with a dremel and small burr bit. Upper is not bad, though it fades a bit towards the right. Lower is terrible and also is even worse towards the right, checked level before I started so I don't know whats going on with that. I think its best to stay away from any bold colors, but a light brown may blend in too well, I'll update with another pic when I have it complete.
Doug

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Here it is with the revised lettering tinted brown and a 4th coat of clear, much better.
Bottom rocker still looks weak but at least its visible.
Attachments
IMG_4489.jpg
Doug