Red Oak and Walnut Zank V-Inlay

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: Red Oak and Walnut Zank V-Inlay

Post by gkas »

I haven't bothered putting a wood foot on the press. I just lay a piece of flattened 2x4 or a couple of other dense scrap on top of the inlay. It seems to work fine.
Inlay Press.jpg

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

Hey it's all about what gets you to the endgame. I tend to think of myself as the repurpose king. You should see some of the jigs and work arounds in my shop. Keep up the good work and adapt to suit your needs. :lol: :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

Creation in Wood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick ATC 4x8 CNC

Post by Creation in Wood »

Great project
Thank You
Doug

Holzarbeiter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger SR24

Post by Holzarbeiter »

Gary, would you mind posting a photo of the press you made? I usually use clamping cauls on my inlays. Never thought about a press for smaller stuff like this project. Great idea...thanks for sharing.

DOH!!! Never mind...just saw the post above....sheesh. I like it...gonna have to make me one of those!
Joe

I have a chip on my shoulder....several more in my hair and lots more all over my shop floor.

laflippin
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR 8 Pro+

Post by laflippin »

Gary, Thanks again for posting useful info & photo of the letter press clamp you built for your Zank inlay work. Thought I'd add a picture of my variation on the theme:
letter press clamp.JPG
Bought the turn-screw from Amazon for ~$15 and mounted the collar "upside down" in a piece of 2x4. Bought a couple of 10" carriage bolts from the local hardware store and shaped the bolt-heads on a benchtop grinder so that they resemble the T-bolts found on typical CNC clamps and fit nicely into the T-slots of my CNC router bed. The turn-screw collar is "upside down" so that the collar flange pushes against the underside of the 2x4 as clamping pressure is applied--no danger of loosening or displacing the collar from the 2x4 in this configuration.

In case I don't happen to want to use the router bed as the base of this clamp, given the long glue-up times of Zank inlay projects, I also have a piece of particle board drilled appropriately to use as an alternate base for the letter press clamp.

This type of clamp is really cool for a number of reasons: (1) Can be adapted to large projects that require serious clamping pressure far from the edges of the workpiece and, 2) Different sized pieces of wood can be used on the screw-side clamp face to properly distribute clamping pressure to the workpiece. Choosing a screw-side clamp face to approximately match the dimensions of the male insert that is being glued in place is as easy as digging through the scrap box next to my band saw, or quickly cutting a custom one out of plywood or thick particle board on the band saw.

ElevationCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: AVID PRO-Acorn , Shapeoko SO3 XXL & SO3s

Post by ElevationCreations »

The letter press type clamp can exert alot of force, but are becoming more difficult to find.

We use the deep throat Harbor Freight C clamps with 1/2" HDPE blocks waxed and hardwood backing blocks between the piece and clamp, any dried excess glue pops right off the HDPE.

We want to try to make Cam Clamp Bases for some of our high production pieces so the pressure can be applied in the center of the inlays by lowering the arm and engaging the CAM.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Thanks Gary and Lee!
Just ordered :)
Will probably do like Lee, but drill out holes in a sturdy work station, or maybe a small rolling work station I need to build anyways.
Thanks!!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Creation in Wood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick ATC 4x8 CNC

Post by Creation in Wood »

Love the work and the theme
Thank You
Doug